UpdateVista from SP2 to 2024-03 Script

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by xrononautis, Mar 8, 2023.

1. xrononautis

xrononautis MDL Senior Member

Mar 30, 2021
    #1 xrononautis, Mar 8, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2024

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. xrononautis

Mar 30, 2021
  3. CaptainSpeleo

CaptainSpeleo MDL Addicted

May 24, 2020
    #3 CaptainSpeleo, Mar 8, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    I created an UpdateVista-v0.01.033 folder, then placed your zip file in it, then extracted its contents.
    These are the 5 files that appear.

Capture.JPG

Assuming a fresh clean install of Windows Vista SP2 64-bit has been done, then UAC has been turned off, then the necessary drivers (chipset, graphics, audio, ethernet, wireless, etc.) have been installed, then an internet connection has been established, what happens next with those 3 scripts?

I would like to do a test run with them this weekend.

Note: I would probably select the "1b" option.

4. xrononautis

Mar 30, 2021
    #4 xrononautis, Mar 9, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    (OP)
    Hello Captain!

A fresh install is not necessary. The script will work just fine either way. It will just skip what ever portions are already installed.
    The drivers strictly speaking are not needed either. Sure you can have them for your convenience but the script can work without them. Without internet though someone would have to prepare-download everything on an other machine and ofc the last step where it is scanning for updates wouldn't work. Especially when it comes to drivers though think that many drivers require certain windows updates to be in place (ex. SHA2 or Kernel Mode Driver Framework). In that case it would make much more sense to run the script as a whole or portions of it before you install those drivers.

Now regarding the script. You will run the 1b script and this will create a number of sub directories with a respective filelist*.txt inside each folder. Then you run the "2" script. This will open for you the download link to wget.exe for your architecture. After you place it in the correct folder (it will show on the cmd window) you can press any key and it will proceed. After that open everything is working automatically until everything is downloaded and expanded to the appropriate folders. Lastly you run the "3" script. This will take quite a while and your computer will restart few times in between (again no user interaction needed, you can just do it over night or just watch and enjoy your coffee). After the updates / IE9 / .net 3.5 / 4.6.2 have been installed the script will install Abbodi's patch for windows update patch it as Vista+WS2008 and restart one last time and scan for updates.

You can stop the script and restart it at any given time it will continue from where it stopped. For this reason few .txt files will be written in the main directory. WAVE1.txt WAVE2.txt etc. Upon restart the script will check for those files and if they are present it will skip to the next step.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. CaptainSpeleo

May 24, 2020
    Thanks for your reply.
    Hopefully, I can follow and understand your instructions correctly (which I printed off).
    My test laptop has an 802.11ac wireless connection, so that's the only driver I'll install before I start the process.
    I always like to do testing with a clean fresh install, so that's what I plan to do.

6. CaptainSpeleo

May 24, 2020
    This is where I have gotten so far before I hit a roadblock:

Windows Vista Business SP2 64-bit was clean installed.

User Account Control(UAC) was turned off.

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 was installed because it was needed.

Intel QM77 chipset driver was installed.

Intel Management Engine Components chipset driver was installed.

Realtek RTL8812BU 802.11ac wireless driver was installed.

(Note: The graphics and audio and ethernet drivers were not installed)

An internet connection was established.

The contents of the UpdateVista-v0.01.033.7z tool were extracted into the same folder.

The 1b-Populate-Optimum.bat script was deployed.
    After it successfully went through the scrolling process, 10 folders were created.

The 2-Download-Extract.bat script was deployed.
    Its window flashed for a fraction of a second and then disappeared.
    This continued to occur, regardless of whether I selected "Open" or "Run as Administrator".

Am I doing something wrong, or is there an issue with that script?
    :confused:

7. CaptainSpeleo

May 24, 2020
    I discovered you updated the tool to 0.01.034, so I decided to try it to see if it resolves the issue.

1b worked fine, as before.

2 still has the same issue - the window appears for a fraction of a second and then disappears.

I am at a standstill for now.
    :(

8. xrononautis

Mar 30, 2021
  9. CaptainSpeleo

May 24, 2020
    #9 CaptainSpeleo, Mar 9, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
    I cannot do a clean install of Windows Vista Business SP2 64-bit in another computer.
    They are all newer 4th and 6th generation Intel models and do allow it to be installed.
    My 3rd generation Intel laptop is my only test computer.

Per your download link, I have downloaded and saved version 1.21.3 of the wget.exe file.

Per your instructions, you say to put that file inside the 409-wget\x64 folder.

I cannot locate that folder inside any of these 10 folders that 1b-Populate-Optimum.bat created:

001-Tools
    101-Important-Updates
    102-ndp2.0-3.0
    201-Installations
    202-SSU4
    302-SU
    304-IE9-CU
    406-Vista_SHA2_WUC
    407-BypassESU-v7-WS2008
    408-WU_DataStore_Fix

Can you be more specific how to use the wget.exe file?

10. xrononautis

Mar 30, 2021
    You can create the folders needed. Just name them accordingly. The populate script and download extract will just download the updates and the rest. They don't install anything (except 7zip if it is not already installed). Try again with the link. I uploaded again with more corrections.
    Did you had spaces in the path?

11. CaptainSpeleo

May 24, 2020
    #11 CaptainSpeleo, Mar 9, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
    After having to use my own method to get the wget.exe file where it belongs, I deployed the 2-Download-Extract.bat script.

The black window appeared and the downloading process begin.

The entire downloading process went fine and all of these folders:

001-Tools
    101-Important-Updates
    102-ndp2.0-3.0
    201-Installations
    202-SSU4
    302-SU
    304-IE9-CU
    406-Vista_SHA2_WUC
    407-BypassESU-v7-WS2008
    408-WU_DataStore_Fix

are now full of updates and files.
    :)

I then deployed the 3-Waves.cmd script.

The black window appeared with this message and with a flashing cursor underneath:

Starting in 10 seconds ---

After a few seconds, the window disappeared and nothing further happened.
    :(

12. CaptainSpeleo

May 24, 2020
    #12 CaptainSpeleo, Mar 9, 2023
    xrononautis:

For some unknown reason, the 3-Waves.cmd script finally decided to work.
    Everything looked good until after the first reboot.
    Surprisingly, the script did NOT reload and did NOT continue on with the process.
    The script had to be manually deployed by me to continue on with the process.
    After repeating the above about 6 times, the script got to where it said it would scan for updates.
    After several minutes had passed, nothing happened, so I decided to load Windows Update and do a manual scan.
    Surprisingly, 170+ Vista and Server 2008 important updates and 30+ optional updates appeared.
    I reluctantly allowed the time-consuming download and install process of these updates to occur.
    Then I ran into a familiar problem with a current NET Framework 4.6.2 update failing to install.
    This was not going well, and it was taking longer than the method I use in my guide, so I stopped at this point.

With the exception of myself, no one else here has responded to this thread.
    Has any one else here tested this tool and its 3 scripts since xrononautis started this thread?
    Some input from others here, besides me, would be welcome.

13. xrononautis

Mar 30, 2021
    #13 xrononautis, Mar 10, 2023
    (OP)
    1. Please edit your last post instead of creating a new one if your post is the last one.

2. .net 4.8 is not supported on vista so I am not sure what you mean here. Typo? Anyway the .net esu update will fail of course since dotnet esu bypass is not installed. You have to do it manually.

3. I asked you if you have spaces on the path. I was able to reproduce every problem that you described by inserting a space in the path.

4. The initial scan on vista takes 20 - 30 minutes. In few minutes time you will only see the ram spiking, an indicator that the datastore is being created.

5. Yes we are the only ones here and I don't hold my breath for this to change any time soon. Thank you for trying it though. Your feedback is valuable.

14. CaptainSpeleo

May 24, 2020
    Yes, I made a typo.
    I meant to type in 4.6.2 and not 4.8.

The script created a 409-wget\x64 folder below the list of the other 10 folders.
    However, there was no wget.exe file inside the x64 folder.
    There was only a shortcut icon which supposedly links to where the wget.exe file is located.
    I tried to load the shortcut icon, but it would not work because Internet Explorer is so outdated.
    I used one of my other computers to obtain the wget.exe file and then place it inside the x64 folder.

To the best of my knowledge, there were no spaces in the file path.
    I plan to do another test today or tomorrow to find out if I did make any mistakes along the way.

I guessed correctly that you would react negatively to what I said in post #14.
    But I wanted to be honest with you and make you aware of the problems I ran into.

15. xrononautis

Mar 30, 2021
    #15 xrononautis, Mar 10, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    (OP)
    Deleted

16. CaptainSpeleo

May 24, 2020
    #16 CaptainSpeleo, Mar 10, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
    March 21, 2023 - test was done with version 0.01.0048

1. A clean install of Windows Vista Business SP2 64-bit was done in my 3rd generation Dell Precision M6700 WorkStation 17.3" laptop.

2. User Account Control(UAC) was turned off and Windows Defender was disabled.
    Power options settings were changed and screensaver was turned off.
    This was done to make sure the PC does not hibernate or sleep or turn off the display.

3. 7-Zip 22.01 and Mozilla Firefox 52.9.0 ESR were manually installed.

4. The Intel chipset and Realtek WLAN drivers were manually installed.

5. A WLAN connection was established, then the Firefox browser was set up and tested to make sure it can load a website.

6. C:\Users\(Username)\Desktop\UpdateVista file path with no spaces was created.

7. The 1b-Populate-Full.bat script was deployed.
    This created 14 sub-folders inside the UpdateVista folder.

8. The 2-Download-Extract.bat was deployed, then the Firefox browser obtained the wget.exe file.
    It was retrieved from its default download location and was placed inside the C:\Users\(Username)\Desktop\UpdateVista\409-wget\x64 folder.
    A very large number of updates then downloaded inside the 14 sub-folders.

9. The 3-Waves.cmd script was deployed.
    It went through 4 phases, and it automatically rebooted and restarted the PC after completing each phase.

10. During the 5th phase, it patched the wuaueng.dll file to version 7.7.6003.20555.
    It then advised it would scan for updates, and to press any key to continue.

11. After waiting for almost an hour, the Windows Update icon with "New updates are available" message never appeared.
    I then manually rebooted the PC.

12. After the PC restarted, Windows Update was manually loaded and a "Check for updates" was done.
    Windows Update displayed 30 important updates and 6 optional updates.
    Only the important updates were selected.

13. After all 30 important updates successfully installed, the PC was manually rebooted.

14. After the PC restarted, Windows Update was manually loaded and another "Check for updates" was done.
    Windows Update displayed 6 optional updates.
    All of the optional updates were selected.

15. After all 6 optional updates successfully installed, the PC was manually rebooted again.

16. After the PC restarted, Windows Update was manually loaded and another "Check for updates" was done.
    Windows Update displayed a message that there were no further updates to install.

Done!

17. CaptainSpeleo

May 24, 2020
    #17 CaptainSpeleo, Mar 10, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    contents deleted

18. xmr2

xmr2 MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2022
    Hi. I applied your script UpdateVista-v0.01.0045.7z then my Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 updated to version 6.0.6003.21915. After Update Center found more mandatory updates, after installing which the version is 6.0.6003.21966.:)

Привет. Я применил ваш скрипт UpdateVista-v0.01.0045.7z после чего моя Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 обновилась до версии 6.0.6003.21915. После Центр обновления нашел еще обязательные обновления, после установки которых версия стала 6.0.6003.21966.

19. xrononautis

Mar 30, 2021
    Nice to hear it! Which version of the populate script did you use out of curiosity? I will update it one of the coming days with the latest cumulative update and Abbodi's power shell 3.0 integration :)

20. CaptainSpeleo

May 24, 2020
    #20 CaptainSpeleo, Mar 20, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
    xrononautis:

Have you read post #16?

I edited it after doing a test on March 18th with version 0.01.0045.
    (Note: "Optimum" was selected)

I edited it again after doing a test today with version 0.01.0048.
    (Note: "Full" was selected)

Everything went fine during both tests, except for the issue that I mentioned in step #11.

Should there be a reboot after the wuaueng.dll file is patched and before Windows Update does a check for updates?