Updating from win XP to 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Armp0wr, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Armp0wr

Armp0wr Guest

#1 Armp0wr, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2012
    Hello guys,

Basically I want to upgrade from win xp to win7, and driver stuff don't seem to be an issue, i guess..
    I used to know everything to do, but that was a long while ago, and I forgot it.. however, I'd like to upgrade to win7, and was wondering what should I do, what activator should I get, or are there still activators, are they safe? can you install updates with it? which iso is safe to install? is it better to install a english version that is trusted and then change the language to dutch when it's done installing. Any help is appreciated :)

Thanks in advance.

Edit: the pc isn't from any company, i thought i might had to add that

2. Timin

Timin MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2012
    #2 Timin, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
    Hello,

For starters run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to check all your drivers:
    windows(dot)microsoft(dot)com/en-US/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor (soz I cannot post links yet)

Next for legitimate image download one from Digital River. This is an official MS providers. I am assuming you want Windows 7 Ultimate with Service Pack 1. Download this for x64:
    msft(dot)digitalrivercontent(dot)net/win/X17-59465(dot)iso

and this for x86:

msft(dot)digitalrivercontent(dot)net/win/X17-59463(dot)iso for x86.

Currently their is no SP1 Dutch Windows 7 Installer as far as I am aware. Once you have installed Windows 7 (forums(dot)mydigitallife(dot)info/threads/23687-Windows-7-Installation-Guide) download Daz's loader (forums(dot)mydigitallife(dot)info/forums/39-Windows-Loader). It can easily found on this forum. Run Daz's loader and then restart. Your system will now be activated, you will be able to install all updates and as far as MS is concerned you are a paying customer :D.

To install Dutch language pack, run Updates and under optional tick the Dutch language pack. Click install and you will now have the option to use Dutch in Windows 7.

Hopefully I have explained everything you asked.

Regards,
    Timin

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  4. Linktopower

Linktopower MDL Member

Sep 5, 2012
    #4 Linktopower, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
    I would say Upgrading from XP to 7 shall be no issue, and for a activator I would just recommend Daz's Windows Loader. it works fantastic.

@odiebugs: Actually I don't think the KB971033 will not cause any problems. I just got it and I'm still activated and genuine.
    But if its recommended to not install that one. what will it do. I did install it and I haven't seen nothing it would mess up.

Edit: Never mind I found what it can do. So I uninstalled it. >__>
    Yeah Ignore that update at all cost if you can, I would recommend turning Off auto Updates. and if you must have updates. choose the ones that you want except KB971033.

5. Armp0wr

Armp0wr Guest

#5 Armp0wr, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2014
    (OP)
    I've read all the replies and I appreciate it, I have some questions though, isn't it more secure to use one of those oem slp keys?
    And this pc is pretty old, It's from ~2006-2007, I did run win7 advisor, and the only problem for drivers is this;

I do had to do a clean install regarding the program too, and my motherboard is from Asus.
    And on some pirate sites I found the win iso dutch, but I'm not so sure if it's safe enough for me to install.
    Also I'd like to use an USB to update, to avoid burning it on a dvd, so yeah

Does AIO mean that it has all versions of win in it? like home premium, professional, ultimate etc?

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Yah, AIO means all editions in it ;)

Most probably its an ASUS mobo. You will get the network divers easily via Windows Update.

Only using oem:slp keys doesn't make you activated. You have to do a bios mod or use Daz's loader.

7. Armp0wr

Armp0wr Guest

Oh right, which version is the iso you provided earlier? home premium probs right? and how does adding that aio in it work? I have no clue..

8. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Its Pro.

Download the utility I mentioned & see the readme.

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ odiebugs and Linktopower, Discussion about KB971033 and Daz loader is long gone it is safe to install the update.

10. Linktopower

Linktopower MDL Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Oh so thats nothing to worry about anymore... *sighs of relieve* I was getting worried about that darn thing. Thanks urie for clearing that up,
    I'll go ahead and stop derailing this topic >__>.

11. Armp0wr

Armp0wr Guest

#11 Armp0wr, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2012
    (OP)
    Alright thanks, searching for an usb now to make it bootable or something, then i'm updating to windows 7 omg!

So, I removed the ei.cf or something, does it mean that it's AIO now?

Why did you provide me with the professional version instead of ultimate?

12. Armp0wr

Armp0wr Guest

It's still not going to AIO mode.. still is stuck at professional :s

13. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Cause in digitalriver, I can only find that Dutch one ;)

14. Armp0wr

Armp0wr Guest

Ah alright, I guess I'll just install the english version, then change it to dutch in the settings, using the links provided earlier from someone else

15. Armp0wr

Armp0wr Guest

Alright, I'm on Win 7 :) now getting drivers.. i experience severe lagg too :(

16. Armp0wr

Armp0wr Guest

Yes it is very old, but I have it running now.. Going to figure tomorrow out what to do with driver issues.

17. Armp0wr

Armp0wr Guest

Oh, not sure how to see the modelnumber now.. I'll update this message once I reboot then I'll see it again I assume

18. Armp0wr

Armp0wr Guest

#18 Armp0wr, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2014
    (OP)
    I found the box of the motherboard, what I also experience is that I don't have any sound, thus there is no realtek driver.. hmm

Put the cd that had all the drivers in it, got this message :\

So found out my audio driver isnt compatible with windows 7 :\ what now..

19. supaduper

supaduper MDL Member

Jul 3, 2011
    #19 supaduper, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
    If they are XP drivers on the cd why dont you try the System switch in the registry?change the `CurrentVersion` to 5.1 and the ProductName to`Windows 7 Professional` then install the drivers

Location;
    computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\CurrentVersion

20. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007