Updating Windows 11 Pro to 22H2

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by doniel, Jan 24, 2023.

1. doniel

doniel MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2014
    The update doesn't show at all. I've tried some of the suggestions found on the Web, but so far, nothing's worked.
    The problem's obvious. My computer can't comply with the hardware and BIOS requirements, so when I installed Widows 11 a year or 2 back, I had to do so bypassing the checks. In the meantime, I continued using Win8.1, but finally switched over in December, since Microsoft was about to end support for 8.1. I then discovered that for some reason, Windows 11 wasn't activated (even though, to the best of my recollection, I downloaded it from Microsoft and installed it from an activated Windows 10), and using Windows 10's Product Key didn't work. So I activated it with KMSPico. That means, as Microsoft puts it, that "my organization handles updates." (I don't quite get that, since Windows Update does install selected updates.)
    At any rate, I can't use Create Windows Installation Media because it will overwrite my current setup, meaning I'll have to install all my programs and get all my settings the way I want them all over again.
    Is there a solution?

2. Jessie Pinkman

Jessie Pinkman MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2016
    make the iso using rufus that bypasses the requirements and just upgrade over ya can save whatever ya need before ya do

3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    In case you had a genuine Windows 8.1 and it was activated with the help of a genuine key, then you can automatically activate Windows 10 and also Windows 11 on the same machine. No problem, I've done this many times myself and everything still works without any problems.
    Also, all Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 genuine keys will work, which have not been yet used for activation on any Windows 10 or Windows 11.
    And if you upgrade from disc, DVD or USB, you can keep all your files, programs and settings. And if you bothered to manually remove or replace the appraiserres.dll file, you don't need Rufus either. You are completely free to run upgrade without any additional tools from hard drive that is currently running on the same machine. You even don't need any USB or something else, only .iso must be downloaded, mounted in virtual drive or extracted to somewhere.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. doniel

doniel MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2014
    Thank you, both of you.

kaljukass, I just want to make sure I have this right. Remove appraiserres.dll, download the .iso file that contains Windows 11 which includes 22H2, extract it to any hard drive, and run (what I figure is called) setup.exe. But from what you wrote, that will NOT preserve my progs and settings. So, if instead of extracting the .iso to a hard drive, I burn it to a DVD, I can boot off the DVD and get 22H2 that way while keeping my progs and settings.
    Do I have that correct?
    (Unfortunately, 8.1 was also activated by KMSPico.)

5. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    You have to run the setup.exe from the live OS to preserve settings and apps

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    or check my signature

7. doniel

doniel MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2014
    My thanks to the two of you.
    endbase, does it make a difference if I run it off a hard drive or a DVD?

8. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Hard drive not DVD you don't get the option to upgrade

9. doniel

doniel MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2014
    Okay.I'm going to give it a whirl. I'll post back here.

10. doniel

doniel MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2014
    #10 doniel, Jan 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    (OP)
    That's strange. It didn't pass the TPM check, even though I have a registry key MoSetup and AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU set to 1.
    I messed up. I'd started to delete appraiserres.dll and got distracted. In the end, I forgot to do it.
    I can't do the update just now, but will post again later when I'm able to get to it.

11. doniel

doniel MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2014
    Still no go. See attached screenshot.

Attached Files:

12. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    use media creation tools wrapper last build with autoupgrade

13. doniel

doniel MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2014
    Thank you, Enthusiast. I found a solution (see below), but it caused a problem.
    pm67310, I stumbled upon your thread https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...are-and-online-account-req-all-sku-aio.86209/ and it worked great. The 22H2 update was installed. I thank you muchly for that. However, a few minor settings got lost, but a major one - Internet access - was also lost.
    I booted into Windows 10 to post back here.
    The troubleshooter said there was a problem with the Ethernet adapter driver it couldn't resolve. Device Manager says all network adapters - I checked each one to be sure - are working properly.
    Any suggestions?

14. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I stopped reading the copycat thread.

15. doniel

doniel MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2014
    I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say.

16. Dolmatov

Dolmatov MDL Addicted

Aug 16, 2017
    It means that something went wrong with the driver update during the update, or it is not compatible with this version of the OS. Use DriversBackUpSolution or similar to back up the driver in Windows 10. Download Windows 11 and uninstall the driver. If the driver did not work after the reboot, then try installing the driver from Windows 10. If this does not help, then try installing the driver from the Microsoft website or from the manufacturer's website. This does not provide a search for a problem and an unambiguous solution, but one of the simplest actions. As an assumption, the driver settings in the registry got lost and reinstallation can fix them.

17. Dolmatov

Dolmatov MDL Addicted

Aug 16, 2017
    Before a Windows 11 release is released, developers are given time to test compatibility and submit results. For incompatible hardware, Microsoft may not provide a compatible fix, so there is always a risk of getting problems.
    In this case, you need to test with a clean installation of the system and select the most compatible drivers. Or use an OS that was originally compatible with the existing PC configuration.

18. doniel

doniel MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2014
    Thank you, Dolmatov. A clean installation is an option of last resort only. I spent too much time installing programs and adjusting settings to my liking to go through that again.
    I did a backup of Windows 11 just before doing the update. If I do a restore, save the driver, reinstall the update and replace the driver with the saved driver, that should fix the problem.
    I'd appreciate feedback on that idea from you and anyone else who'd like to weigh in.

19. doniel

doniel MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2014
    This is what I hate about computers. And I began my career in computers on IBM mainframes before there were personal computers and switched to PCs when it was clear that they were going to be big.
    What do I hate? Their utter, inexplicable unpredictability. I booted back into Windows 11 and I had Internet access.
    I'm certainly not complaining about having access again.
    So all's well. Update installed and just a few minor settings to adjust again.
    Thank you to all of you who offered your insights and gave of your time.
    Case resolved.