Upgrade crashes but clean install is ok: Build 10130 upwards

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by stuclark, Jul 3, 2015.

1. stuclark

stuclark MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2009
    My main PC won't upgrade it's Windows 10 build - it downloads the build from Windows Update (I've tried this with 10147; 1015; 10159 and now 10162) and starts the upgrade process. It will then reboot and get as far as 28% completed (80% file copy stage) where it hangs / physically crashes and won't go any further. It has now been left for 36 hours to check it wasn't just being slow.

However, if I burn the ESD to a DVD (obviously via an ISO conversion) and do a CLEAN install to the same HDD partition, it will install fine and keep my existing documents; but obviously being a clean install trash all my applications etc.

I've disconnected all external USB devices and even uninstalled the graphics card driver before trying the upgrade, but nothing seems to work.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    My 2 cents is that must be an error log after upgrade fail go and check that out for what causes the Upgrade from failing

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. stuclark

stuclark MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2009
    Yeah, you'd think so... I've checked all the logs and there's nothing useful in there, just the usual DCOM stuff and an error about not being able to finish the deployment of 10162.

I honestly can't find anything sensible to explain this one.