Upgrade for Win7 Starter to Win7 Pro, is it possible.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Beowulf, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Beowulf

Beowulf MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Hello, can anyone help me here, i have a Win7 Starter DVD , and it also says "Windos Anytime Upgrade", so i do not have a product key for Win7 Starter but i have a MAK key for Win7 Pro, so i want this Win7 Starter to upgrade to Win7 Pro, using the Pro MAK key.
    When i see the properties of My computer it show 30 days to activate and also the change product key, so clicking on it, and entering those key (i.e., Win7 Pro MAK key ) would up it.
    Is it possible to upgrade, please anyone answer, any suggestion would be welcomed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
  3. bootstap

bootstap MDL Member

Mar 25, 2012
    hi,

u cant upgrade using mak key. check ur pm.

good luck.

4. Beowulf

Beowulf MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Hello now that my copy of Win7 Pro is activated, i noticed my first partition have developed 14 sector errors and although i do use chkdsk and other tools to fix the errors, it contineously pops up and i am thinkin of changing the HDD with a new one . I have made a backup of Win7 Pro which resides in second partition, and also of Winxp, so after restoring the backups will my copy of Win7 Pro still be activated. After all its only the HDD that is being changed and not the motherboard.
    Please answer someone, i need to decide quickly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You could try to use HDD Regenerator for to repair the bad sectors. You could PM me and I give you a link for to download the ISO for to create a bootable CD/DVD/USB Stick directly without the need of installing first. Those Errors mostly "soft-errors" which could be repaired. HDD Reg will do that job.

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ Beowulf, due to the fact you have dual boot I would clone the drive not backup separate partitions. I you were to just try and restore say windows 7 from partition backup it would not boot.

@ pisthai, beginning to think you are a shareholder in HDD Regenerator Company :biggrin:

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Maybe not a bad idea!:D

In real, I use that Apps for quite some years with a lot of success beside of other, similar apps. It's always worth a try!

8. Beowulf

Beowulf MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Thank u for suggesting HDD REG, i use DRevitalize 2.42 all this time to recover bad sector, i'll give HDD REG a try, altough i read couple of ur replies stating they were the same thing, still thanks for the headsup.:)
    I have very few tools for correcting bad sectors, this goes to my kit indefinitely. I too had a lot of success with DRevitalize 2.42, many times.:)

I don't have that option of cloning an entire drive, imho i don't its practical, i usually backup seperate partitions, and restore, the part where u say that Win7 would not boot, well if u use the Recovery disc of Win7 and let it fix the boot problem it does make that partition bootable overwriting winxp's mbr, then i use EasyBCD 2.0 to add winxp entry within Win7, it works all the time.

But no one answered the primal question and that is would Win7 Pro still be activated if i transfer/restore the backup to a newer HDD.:dunno:

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Sorry, yes it should still be activated.

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    DRevitalize is same as HDDReg! Both are Payware, differences is, with HDDReg I could create and bootable CD/DVD/USB Stick so I could boot directly without the need to have Windows running. In some cases quite important.

And yes, Windows 7 will normally activated after transfer/cloning/restore as long as you didn't change the MB to a different Brand/Chipset/Architecture.