Upgrade from 8 to 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by lunar21, Nov 12, 2013.

1. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
    Hey all,

I know alot have upgraded from 8 to 8.1. I was wondering from the people who have upgraded, not clean install. Which is better 8 or 8.1? Which is faster and which has the better performance? Please post your opinions below :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    Win 8.1 definitely has a little more kick to it. Is it very different than 8? not exactly, I say abut 15-25% boost from win 8. That is just my opinion, everybody has one.:bye1:

3. gonz621

gonz621 MDL Junior Member

Nov 15, 2012
    I would say Win 8.1 is much better than Win 8. Much smoother I think. Well, my finger scanner is back now after upgrading to Win 8.1.

4. Cipher

Cipher MDL Member

May 31, 2008
    File copy speeds seems to be a little faster, apart from that I've not noticed that much difference from 8.
    It looks like most of improvements are on the metro side of things.

5. faizanfateh

faizanfateh MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2013
    Looks appealing with more customization offers, but for few things it lags particularly while playing game and using mouse... but overall, i would rate windows 8.1 higher as compared to windows 8. And yes, Start Button ... I liked it !!

6. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
    Thank you all for the info. did you guys upgrade from the store or from the ISO/disk? Also I dont play games, I mainly use it for KMS server related things, movies and TV shows and social media sites mainly. And yes, Start Button is a plus. I already redid my Windows 2 Go Harddrive to 8.1 and so far seems much better then 8. Keep them coming (mainly asking this as I dont wanna loose anything when upgrading and dont have anything to do a clean install LOL)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. faizanfateh

faizanfateh MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2013
    Once you are done with installation, it all works like a charm.. but luckiest ones get it installed in the first try :biggrin:

8. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Upgrade.
    Smoother than Michael Jackson.
    I personally prefer 8.1. Only minor changes over 8, but it shows in the long run. You will know the difference when you use 8.1 for a few weeks or so, then suddenly try to use 8.

9. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
    When upgrading via ISO/Disk, do you need any keys? If so I presume the GVLK works, yes?

10. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    I used no keys until I was about to activate (after install completed). I was upgrading from Pro to Enterprise, and yes, GVLKs are perfect if you're using Enterprise :)

11. lunar21

lunar21 MDL Addicted

Dec 14, 2008
    Can you upgrade from pro 8 to enti 8.1? I thought it had to be the same version?

12. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Naw. Pro to Enterprise works, I can assure you. Made a bootable drive off a flash drive using an ISO I got from the repo here. Upgrade went perfectly.