Upgrade from Win 8 Pro (VL) to Win 8.1 Pro

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by testooo, Oct 22, 2013.

1. testooo

testooo MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Hi,

I have the activated windows below:

Name: Windows(R), Professional edition
    Description: Windows(R) Operating System, VOLUME_MAK channel

I need to update to win 8.1 pro without losing activation, I know the update won't show on Win store.

I read few posts on this website but Is a bit confusing to me. too much information.

also I have office 2013 pro plus activated with MTK 2.4.9. ( Would I lose the activation after the upgarde ) ?

Can someone help me with few steps where to start?

Thanks in advance.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    What you are asking for is impossible. As far as I know, MAK for Windows 8 does not work in Windows 8.1, so even if you do an upgrade setup of some sort, your activation info will be invalid and will be lost.

3. testooo

Oct 22, 2013

thanks for reply ... regardless the activation how to upgrade to win 8.1 pro, do I need to download VL 64bit iso copy and run setup from inside win 8 ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Yes obviously, you need the Pro VL ISO and you can do the inplace update, but it is of no use as you can't activate it. But if you are lucky to get hold of a genuine 8 keys it can be used to activate.

Cheers

5. testooo

Oct 22, 2013

does 8.1 pro VL accept win 8 key for activation ? sorry I'm a bit confused as I am a bit old for these details.

cheers

6. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Nope Pro VL doesn't accept 8 key for activation, unless you have a genuine MAK/KMS 8.1 Key.

7. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    #7 kelorgo, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    Windows 8.1 Pro can be activated with one of these:
    A) Windows 8 Pro retail key
    B) Windows 8.1 Pro retail key
    C) Windows 8.1 Pro MAK key
    as well as the usual KMS solutions. It can't be activated with Windows 8 Pro MAK key.

The Windows 8.1 Pro installation media are interchangable, in the sense that both the retail and VL media will accept all the keys as listed above. So it doesn't matter if you install from a VL iso, all the above still applies.

If your Windows 8 Pro MAK key was legally obtained, then it means you had a VL agreement for Windows 8 Pro. In this case, you are eligible for free upgrades to Windows 8.1 Pro, even if your agreement has expired already. You are then eligible for new Windows 8.1 Pro MAK keys.

8. testooo

Oct 22, 2013

I asked my neighbour who did the win 8 pro installation for me, he said the MAK key was activated by phone and he got it from a website.

so I need to look for win 8.1 pro MAK key after update ?

9. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    In that case, you are out of luck, and you have to join the long queue of people waiting for a way to illegitimately activate Windows 8.1.

10. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
  11. testooo

Oct 22, 2013

this is an upgrade copy but I've already got win 8 pro VL? do I need to run this copy from Amazon again ? please enlighten me.

Cheers

12. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    As noted above you can't upgrade VL other than with a new VL key...the Win 8 upgrade can be clean installed and upgraded to win 8.1

13. testooo

Oct 22, 2013
    it seems that Microsoft won't let it go this time lol ... I think I might buy original win 8.1 pro when its available for cheaper price,

very expensive for £189, for god sake its only Windows :eek:

one last question is there any harm if I stick to windows 8 pro ?

14. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Agree, the pricing is horrendous!.. Choice of OS is entirely yours... Win7, I've been told, is not too shabby either...:biggrin:

15. testooo

Oct 22, 2013
    thanks guys for support ... I like this forum.

you have my thank button :p

16. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    highly interested but price must be good. If price is out of range you get banned today

17. testooo

Oct 22, 2013

do you want my bank details with pin code and you can send me a file .exe and I'll disable the anti-virus ...

I've been into this before not any more I am wiser now :D :whistling:

18. ciger

ciger MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I have windows 8 pro VL installed kms activated. I want to upgrade to windows 8.1 pro. I have legit windows 8 retail upgrade key but I activate it over internet a year ago and then format my pc then try to activate again not accepted. How can I use my legit key ? is it possible?