Upgrade From Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 LTSC

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by zero50, Jan 20, 2020.

1. zero50

zero50 MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2020
    Hello!
    I'm thinking of moving on from Windows 7.
    Is it possible to do an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC and keep my software?
    Is there some kind of exploit/utility that can achieve this?

Thank you.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    No, you can only keep your files on this upgrade path.

More info:
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/newbie-needing-help-with-ltsc.80990/#post-1572124
    &
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/newbie-needing-help-with-ltsc.80990/#post-1572127

3. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    You back your stuff up on another partition/drive and perform a clean install.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    If you currently have genuine Windows 7 Pro activated, it would be wise to pack your stuff and upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, get a genuine digital license, and once it's done, go wherever you want. Of course, it makes sense to do so, if you have a decent enough computer.
    I hope you know that it is quite easy to upgrade/go from the pro version to any other version. And if this computer is enough good, I'd recommend to stay on pro.

But just take it as my personal opinion and do exactly what you want.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #5 Joe C, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    LTSC would be a much better way to go. Windows 10 pro is not much different than home version, it is full of advert crap, and many other annoyances.
    Unfortunately you can not do an upgrade from 7 to Enterprise LTSC or from 10 Pro to Enterprise LTSC, you have to do a clean install of Enterprise LTSC and run KMS_VL_ALL and then re-install your software

6. zero50

zero50 MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2020
    Hey, guys, thanks for the replies!
    I understand it's not possible. That's a pity.

So, if I do W7 Pro -> W10 Pro -> W10 LTSC, Will I keep most of my settings and installed software?

I've backed up all my data and even made a VM out of my machine as a second backup.

I'm also thinking of trying out the Laplink PC Mover software (Can't post links yet!)

Seems legit and is even recommended by MS.

I could do some experimenting on my VM clone, but it would take forever and I've already wasted a week preparing...

EDIT:
    Just realised Joe C wrote that I still can't keep my software with W10 Pro -> W10 LTSC!

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Actually I am in the same process that you are....
    I installed Windows Enterprise 10 LTSC on an older laptop to see if my software I am using on my Windows 7 Pro would be compatible and so far everything is good, even the check print software from 2000. Using Firefox sink I can transfer my current Firefox profile to the Windows 10 LTSC. I have a couple of licensed software's that I am currently waiting for responses about switching from 7 Pro to 10 LTSC

8. DaE2

DaE2 MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2007
    I spent sooo long trying to do a legit upgrade from Windows 7 to either 10 LTSC or Pro for my nephew's gaming build that I did for him. After all this frustration and giving up, I discovered eBay and one- or two-dollar legit product keys and bought one which worked as advertised :D

That said, for my own new gaming PC, I did go with the LTSC VL hackity thing which can be found here on the forums instead of buying a key for it (out of principle — MS is not getting a single dollar from me for any of these monstrosities that are Windows 10 editions, even for LTSC, which is arguably the least s**tty one of the bunch).

Works great so far, except at least last I checked, there weren't any official NVIDIA drivers, so you'll have to make do with the ones that are provided via Microsoft's own servers, which AFAICT don't include PhysX software. YMMV.

9. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    You just install the regular nvidia driver from geforce.com. Simple as that.

10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Afaik, with the Geforce 1650 OC i installed last week, only the nvidia config panel needed to be installed from the store (was 18363.535).

11. zero50

zero50 MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2020
    #11 zero50, Jan 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    (OP)
    Guys, what's the difference between running the setup.exe and installing from there and booting from the usb drive on startup and doing a custom install?
    I decided to try it out first on my gf's W8.1 laptop (Go from Windows 8.1 Pro to W10 LTSC) and ran the setup but it's taking extremely long. Like, it took 10 hours to go from 9% to 20%!

12. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Running setup.exe is upgrading, when set to keep files, it will keep the files, when set to keep files and apps, it will keep files and apps (7/8 > LTSC no option to keep apps) and depending on the hardware and the amount of files to keep, it can take a while.

Booting and clean installing will need you to save the files manually before installing the new OS.

10 hours sounds to me as a very slow laptop.

13. Dude Guyman

Dude Guyman MDL Senior Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Two things to keep in mind for compatibility with older Windows programs on Windows 10. You may or may not need these, I did. But just so you're aware...

1. Enable .NET 3.5 in control panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on or off = check the box. Lots of older programs need it, even one of the DirectX installers I had with a game. This one will want to go to Windows Updates to get files.
    2. Enable DirectPlay in control panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on or off > Legacy Components > DirectPlay = check the box. Old game Freelancer needed this one.

14. aspertyx

aspertyx MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2011
    Actually, it IS possible to pereform an in-place upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to LTSC 1903. Like many users, I have a Win 7 x64 Pro system with Office 2007 and many other third party apps installed. I was looking forward to installing LTSC and all the apps. I read these postings (notede earlier):

hxxps: //www. reddit. com/r/Windows10LTSC/comments/d6fstb/i_did_an_inplace_upgrade_from_windows_7_to/
    hxxps ://community. spiceworks. com/topic/2209298-how-to-update-windows-7-8-8-1-enterprise-to-windows-10-ltsc-2019

What you need to do is make a few small changes to UpgradeMatrix.xml located in the install.wim. When you examine the UpgradeMatrix.xml file, the LTSC 2019 section is TargetEdition ID="EnterpriseS and looks like this:

<TargetEdition ID="EnterpriseS" processorArchitecture="amd64" version="10.0.17763.1">
    <Features>
    <Feature name="DomainJoin"/>
    <Feature name="SecureStartupPremium"/>
    <Feature name="SecureStartupDeviceEncryption"/>
    </Features>
    <SourceEdition ID="EnterpriseS" processorArchitecture="amd64" versionRange="threshold" dataOnly="true" dataSetting="false" fullUpgrade="true" cleanInstall="true"/>
    <SourceEdition ID="EnterpriseS" processorArchitecture="amd64" versionRange="win10_rs1" dataOnly="true" dataSetting="false" fullUpgrade="true" cleanInstall="true"/>
    <SourceEdition ID="EnterpriseS" processorArchitecture="amd64" versionRange="win10_rs2" dataOnly="true" dataSetting="false" fullUpgrade="true" cleanInstall="true"/>
    <SourceEdition ID="EnterpriseS" processorArchitecture="amd64" versionRange="win10_rs3" dataOnly="true" dataSetting="false" fullUpgrade="true" cleanInstall="true"/>
    </TargetEdition>

Adding an entry for Windows 7 Professional and changing the datasetting="false" to datasetting="true", the Enterprise$ section looks like this:

<TargetEdition ID="EnterpriseS" processorArchitecture="amd64" version="10.0.17763.1">
    <Features>
    <Feature name="DomainJoin"/>
    <Feature name="SecureStartupPremium"/>
    <Feature name="SecureStartupDeviceEncryption"/>
    </Features>
    <SourceEdition ID="Professional" processorArchitecture="amd64" versionRange="win7" dataOnly="true" dataSetting="true" fullUpgrade="true" cleanInstall="true"/>
    <SourceEdition ID="EnterpriseS" processorArchitecture="amd64" versionRange="threshold" dataOnly="true" dataSetting="true" fullUpgrade="true" cleanInstall="true"/>
    <SourceEdition ID="EnterpriseS" processorArchitecture="amd64" versionRange="win10_rs1" dataOnly="true" dataSetting="true" fullUpgrade="true" cleanInstall="true"/>
    <SourceEdition ID="EnterpriseS" processorArchitecture="amd64" versionRange="win10_rs2" dataOnly="true" dataSetting="true" fullUpgrade="true" cleanInstall="true"/>
    <SourceEdition ID="EnterpriseS" processorArchitecture="amd64" versionRange="win10_rs3" dataOnly="true" dataSetting="true" fullUpgrade="true" cleanInstall="true"/>
    </TargetEdition>

If you look at the entry for TargetEdition ID="ProfessionalEducation", it is clear what is going on.

So
    1) Create a folder to mount the install.wim file. In my case, c:\win10-mount
    2) Using dism++, mount the install.wim.
    The file is located here: C:\win10-mount\Windows\servicing\Editions\UpgradeMatrix.xml
    3) UpgradeMatrix.xml is owned by TrustedInstaller. Take ownership and save a copy.
    4) Using the editor of your choice, make the changes to UpgradeMatrix.xml.
    5) Using dism++, save the image and unmount the image. install.wim will be re-created on the USB stick.
    5) Using an exact copy of my Win 7 laptop SSD, I ran setup.exe from the LTSC 2019 USB stick.
    After a couple of housekeeping prompts, I selected a "preserve applications and user data" install. Away it went. When I returned to the laptop 20 minutes later, it was installing updates.

When I re-booted, all my desktop icons were in the same position, all my apps were there and functional and all my data was there. The only glitches were that Primo Ramdisk V5.6 did not migrate to the LTSC and the upgrade process changed the driver for the Intel 4600 graphics to a Microsoft driver. But the display still works fine. The wireless card and sound card drivers changed and i upgraded these drivers later. I am very pleased with the upgrade and it is woking well. Office 2007 still works along with all my other apps. In hindsight, I should have disabled the WiFi switch before starting.

I have already deleted the 19 GB windows.old folder.

15. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #17 Enthousiast, Feb 20, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    It's either 1809 or 2019 LTSC:)

BTW, editing the UpgradeMatrix.xml will cause sfc errors on the running system.

16. aspertyx

aspertyx MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2011
    Yes, it was LTSC 2019. What are the ramifications if the modified UpgradeMatrix.xml is repaired by the sfc process?

17. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Why would that be, if by then the OS is fully replaced?

18. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    That was suggested by Whatever somewhere else on the forum and i already corrected it in that thread.