Upgrade from Windows 7 Starter to Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by paris, Jun 6, 2014.

1. paris

paris MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2014
    I have a 4 year old Sony Vaio netbook which came with a Windows 7 starter edition which isn't that great. Id like to upgrade the OS to Windows 7 (pirated version) .Is it a good idea ? I own a macbook but I also have a lot of data and MS office (original) on my netbook.Will upgrading to Windows 7 cause any problem ?

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Just do a clean install after saving all your data upfront. I also suggest that you download all required Drivers for your machine before doing a new installation if you didn't have them on and CD/DVD! To use the Upgrade Process may will result in quite a bit of problems and it's not adviced to do that!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
  4. Bytebuster

Bytebuster MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2013
    First, I would strongly advise against installing a 'pirated Windows 7'. o_O

What is the exact model / type of your Sony VAIO?

5. paris

paris MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2014
    My Vaio netbook doesn't have a CD Drive . It came with all the software loaded . I'll have to download drivers from the website I guess. Windows 8 looks confusing to me . Is there a cheaper way to get Windows 7 original version :confused:

6. paris

paris MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2014

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I send you an PM!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    Anytime Upgrade with oem:slp key is the easiest thing to try first. It will do no harm, even if it fails.

If it fails, then you will need backup data, download drivers, download a Win 7 iso and transfer it to a usb stick, boot from usb stick and do clean reinstall of windows, then install any needed drivers , then install all your programs, then copy your data back, then figure out how to activate the new Windows installation ...