Upgrade from Windows XP (OEM)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by iks, Sep 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. iks

iks MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2008
    Hello,

I have several Windows XP keys from my old laptops where XPs came preinstalled. Will those keys make me eligible to buy Windows 8 upgrade for $40?

Thank you,
    -iks

2. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    I don't see why they wouldn't. Any legal XP, Vista or 7 machine/key should have no trouble obtaining the $40 upgrade to Windows 8.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. iks

iks MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2008
    Thank you, I guess this is true...

I have another question:
    Do you think that I will be able to install the purchased $40 version of Windows 8 to another machine and not only the laptop where I took that XP key from? Laptops are dead/broken and old... I might be only able to find the original (branded) XP CDs...

Regards,
    -iks

4. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Legally, you are definitely required to only install them to the machines the keys belong to. Realistically, I highly suspect that you'll be able to use them on any machines (one per key) you want. I doubt if Microsoft will really care or enforce about this situation anyway.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. iks

iks MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2008
    I see... I will give it a try when the purchase becomes available... I still can't find anything about $40 upgrade on windows.com...

Thank you,
    -iks

6. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    You need to use Partition Wizard or Hiren's Boot CD to format the HDD, then install your XP.

7. hybridseries

hybridseries MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    Wouldn't work. The $15 upgrade is for Windows 7 only.
    You'll need to have XP installed on the computer that you're upgrading. The $40 offer is for digital upgrades only; it'll check to make sure that you have a valid, activated OS before it lets you upgrade.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    One person could apply for a max of 5 Windows 8 Upgrades for $ 40.00, so if you've 20 machines you could legally buy just 5 Upgardes.

The 15.00 Upgrade is for Windows 7 Pre-installed and newly bought machines only, look for the time frame at MS!

The boxed Upgrades, which will be in the shelf's from October 26. onward, will be sold at S 69.99 (or equivalent on other countries + Tax etc.) and could be used on any machines with Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 installed.

Windows Vista Starter or Windows 7 Starter isn't possible to upgrade!

Guy's you could find ALL infos upgrade to Windows 8 related an Microsoft's Website, don't be to lazy to do the sxearch on your own instead of asking other for to do YOUR work!

9. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    Have you ever tried it out yourself before giving out such a definitive and authorative remark? :rofl6:

btw, a bit of advice, to try in IE10/win8 is no-go; try it in IE9/win7, and join the hundreds of thousand (or maybe million) people who got their "Approved Status" email from MS. :p

So what you mean is Mr. LeBlanc had gave out false infos in his Windowsteamblog? :laie:

10. hybridseries

hybridseries MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    Yes, I have. I've also mastered basic reading comprehension where step one of the process on that page is "Buy a qualified Windows 7 PC today" and where the terms of the offer state:
    As for your other statement, I'm assuming that you have some information where it's been stated that you'll be able to do a digital upgrade without having an operating system installed on the computer that's being upgraded?

11. hybridseries

hybridseries MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    What are you even talking about? He asked if he could upgrade an XP computer for $15. I said no, it's Windows 7 only. You then proceeded to jump all over me, tell me to try it using IE9 and Windows 7 (which isn't XP, which is what he was asking about), and now are jumping on me again because of Lord knows what. I told you that I'd tried it and it worked. I told him that it wouldn't work for his XP installation because it's Windows 7 only.

I'm not sure why you're being an ass about it and jumping my case, but feel free to continue. I honestly don't care.

12. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
    OIC, you did have a win7 machine legit for the upgrade, and you thought the only chance to get this $15 upgrade is people have to really bought a win7 machine after June 2........OK, now I understand your point. :D

13. hybridseries

hybridseries MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    I never said anything about the date... I tried it with a 2-year-old laptop and a custom desktop because I was curious about how it worked and wanted to see the difference in how it handled different licenses (OEM vs. non-OEM.) Like I said, I was trying to answer the OP's question about XP (which also has nothing to do with the date.) I honestly have no idea where you're coming from with that, since I never mentioned the purchase date at all.

But anyway, I'm done with this.

14. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
    OK, case closed. :D

15. user7

user7 MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2012
    [h=2]Upgrade from Windows XP (OEM) !![/h]