Upgrade key on RTM retail version

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mcbyte, Jul 26, 2009.

1. mcbyte

mcbyte MDL Junior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    I bought through amazon the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade edition, but in the meanwhile i have already installed windows 7 rtm home premium with no key, and will rearm till i get my official copy.

the question is, when i get a real home premium upgrade key, will it be enough to insert it and activate or i need to reinstall, install vista then upgrade to home premium? o how does things work?

2. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    you should be able to enter the upgrade key it might ask for your vista key or XP key to verify upgradability. Since you can't upgrade from XP to 7 directly there is probably some way they have of verifying an upgrade key vs a retail full key. Otherwise everyone would buy upgrade editions.

3. z00ps00p

z00ps00p MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2008
  4. bippo

bippo MDL Novice

Jun 15, 2007
    Upgrade

When U did upgrade your Vista U can use directly the key to activate;
    When U did a clean install, U have to upgrade this Windows 7 from now with the new one U get in october!!
    Till then simply rearm.

5. mcbyte

mcbyte MDL Junior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    #5 mcbyte, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
    (OP)
    So having Windows XP installed and activated will result in a near-clean install of windows 7 (it will remove and format, right?), while over vista it will upgrade and keep all options (or even clean install)... What about having Vista activated by SLP?

I have authentic XP Pro keys around, will they work to upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium?

Anyway, knowing that XP is considered good to upgrade to Win7, now i am 100% legal with Win7, as i have Vista Business and it is not in the path to upgrade to Win7 Home Premium, but xp yes....

6. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    Vista to 7 is a supported upgrade path, even the unactivated evaluation version is supported to upgrade.

A lot of people with XP installs that have a lot of stuff on them or do not want to lose their files are doing this:

XP Installed ----> Upgrade to Vista (you don't have to activate just install it) ----> Upgrade to 7

XP to 7 is not a supported upgrade path because Windows XP is out of lifecycle so they will not build in support to upgrade from it. If they wanted to MS could easily support XP as a supported upgrade path but it comes down to the out of lifecycle thing more than anything else.

7. Busykid508

Busykid508 MDL Guru

Jun 4, 2009
    All you need to do is insert the windows XP disk in the cd-dvd drive and windows will scan it to see if it is valid and then ask for you to re-insert the Home Premium Windows 7 DVD and it will continue to install.

You do not need to install Windows XP.

8. mcbyte

mcbyte MDL Junior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    but is this a guess or you have a confirmed source ? what i read on some sites says the opposite, but i hope it's like what you say, it will be easier for everybody...