Upgrade possibilities????

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by adrian2055, Dec 3, 2019.

1. adrian2055

adrian2055 MDL Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I was given an ASUS X751MA-DH01TQ laptop and I'm wondering if I can upgrade the processor in this laptop and how much RAM can this laptop hold.

Specs:

Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

CPU: Intel Celeron N2930 @ 1.83GHz Bay Trail-M 22nm Technology

RAM 8 GB DDR3 (1 Slot Is Free)

Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. X751MA (SOCKET 0)

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics

HDD: 1TB Seagate ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB (SATA)

Optical Drive: Slimtype DVD A DA8A5SH-L

Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio

2. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    You can find these infos on Asus website. For RAM upgrading I use crucial add on by going to crucial.com and select computer scan.

3. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Not really worth to upgrade that son of a Bay Trail. Better sell it, and invest in something better. 16 GB RAM is the standard as of today and even my smartphone has a better CPU than this.

4. nmook

nmook MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2015
    #4 nmook, Dec 3, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    I believe your cpu might be soldered on if I am not mistaken. If its not soldered you might want to look into:

I my opinion your better off saving up for a cheap i3 or i5 laptop instead of buying upgrades for that machine

Ram might be limited to only 8gb due to its bridge/cpu. Definitely check out crucial for ram upgrade info and asus docs

5. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    If the laptop is useful as-is then that's fine. If you have a cheap SSD lying around then I'd put that in it if you want to use it for a while, but I wouldn't put any money in it. If you like the laptop, I'd get a battery for when the one in it dies if you don't want to sell it. Other than that, I guess either use it or sell it.

6. adrian2055

adrian2055 MDL Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I will use it for now until I get get something better near Christmas

@CHEF-KOCH: Why is 16 GB RAM is the standard now? Why do I need that much ram or more?

7. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Don't worry, this processor will run on this computer for some more years if you want it.
    If it is a bit slow, the only thing you can do with it is replace HDD with SSD and you will see a big difference in speed.
    What is related to adding RAM, You wouldn't go it a try, because this CPU is designed for max RAM 8GB DDR3L 1333 and nothing more.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    All I would do in replace the HD with a SSD that will boost performance greatly if your going to keep it.

9. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Because you might actually want to work with your PC/Laptop. Even today's Android smartphones using 6 GB ram (or even more). You need RAM for background tasks, opened applications etc. This way your PC/Laptop usually not runs out of resources and does not need page all the time on your HDD/SSD (which is slower).

People in this thread said, better wait and buy something new. Sell your old hardware, this way you're more future proof and do not run again into troubles after two years. Getting a cheap AMD/Intel CPU with some decent RAM and a middle-ware GPU is not as expensive as you might think, you also could buy an used model on eBay. i5 CPU's aren't expensive and most people selling their "old" hardware already after 2 years on eBay, because they use the money for a new build.

Please upgrade or wait and buy something but do not start yet another discussion upgrade vs new build .. We had this dozen of times discussed...

10. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    the CPU is slow but hes fine with 8gigs of ram u can pick up a used 160GB SSD on fleabay for $20.00 it will make a big difference and upgrade to win10... 8.1 is garbage is not worth spending more money on a old machine.

11. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Agreed. I have a netbook with a celeron 847 1.1 ghz celeron cpu that benchmarks about the same as that N2930 cpu. It came with 2 gb ram and a horribly slow hard drive. I had 8 gb ram and an ssd sitting around so I put it in the netbook and it didn't help much. Yes, it boots about 3 times faster, but after it's booted there's not much difference. Putting 8 gb ram in it let me load more tabs in a browser, but the problem is that too many tabs overloads the cpu and it seems to hang but it's really trying to process everything, because I can wait when it doesn't respond and it continues eventually. Since the OP already has 8 gb ram I certainly wouldn't add more. And I'd put an ssd in it if I could do it for free but I wouldn't spend a dime on it. If the OP likes the netbook and uses it a lot for light web browsing and keeps it in sleep mode when not using it so you can wake it and look at something on the web, then fine. It's not useful for much else. To make it perform okay you'd have to disable updates and manually check for updates once a month and let it sit when you do because you can't use it while it's doing that. You'd have to disable defender too and trim out everything you could in startup. It's not worth the trouble really unless you just like playing around with things.

13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    A 32 bit o.s. may be o.k. as your Mrs has. But eventually as time goes on, fewer and fewer apps are going to be 32 bit compatible. I think I heard at one time that M$ was going to stop support for 32 bit but I can't recall if this still holds true today. If the op installs a 32 bit Windows 10 version he may get some more use out of it

14. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    They mentioned it quite some time ago, but as long as there is a market, they will supply :D

I also had to re-install a T200TA, and it ran x64 Home, same specs, a little bit newer atom, iirc.