Upgrade to W10, choices

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by kiwig, Oct 28, 2018.

1. kiwig

kiwig MDL Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Hi All
    I work with CAD on W8.1 PRO(legit) and going to have a major CAD upgrade.
    It seems to be the right time to fresh install the OS( on a relatively old though good working laptop).
    Can I upgrade/ fresh install a W10 PRO?
    I'm not into gaming. I do prefer a OS with little clutter. I just like solid and fast system.
    Has anyone of you a suggestion.
    Thanks

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #2 kaljukass, Oct 28, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    1. Yes, You can upgrade and also You can do a fresh install, both are possible;
    2. Windws 10 isn't any way faster if Your current
    3. If You want my recommendation, then of course go to Windws 10, but I'll recommend clean/fresh install.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    If everything currently is working fine for you & your CAD upgrade works with win 8.1 then stick with it.You will learn that learning about operating win 10 to your tastes is a big task in itself.

4. kiwig

kiwig MDL Member

Apr 2, 2014
    I have one laptop with W10 and with some work it is satisfactory now. At this time I like the idea of fresh OS install before adding the new CAD on it, I just do not know how to go about upgrading from 8.1 PRO to W10 PRO.

5. ForrestGump

ForrestGump MDL Member

Oct 19, 2018
    #5 ForrestGump, Oct 28, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    i don't understand, you talk about fresh install by saying it's interesting idea and you want to be able to upgrade from win8.1 to win10 at the same time so which one of these procedures do you want to accomplish ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. kiwig

kiwig MDL Member

Apr 2, 2014
    My apology, I should've said: I have a second laptop which has W10 OS.
    My main machine, which is for work, has 8.1 PRO.

7. ForrestGump

ForrestGump MDL Member

Oct 19, 2018
    okay so it's very easy, all you have to do is to download win10 iso then you put it on the desktop, you double click on it then you click on "setup.exe" and you follow the instructions on the screen. you will be asked whether you want to keep your personal data after the upgrade or remove all data, you choose the option that suits your needs and the upgrade should start after that. The procedure should last between 10 to 25 minutes, it will depend on your pc configuration.
    Your win10 pro should be activated automatically at the end.
    Of course, this has to be done on the win8.1 pro machine.