Upgrade using ISO

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by plimoman, Aug 4, 2015.

1. plimoman

plimoman MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2010
    I have quite a few systems to upgrade so I downloaded the ISO of Windows 10 Home and used Rufus to put it on a USB stick. Now when I try to run the Setup from the USB in Windows 7/8/8.1 I am being asked for a product key and I cannot skip the step. Is there something that I missing?

2. darkodar

darkodar MDL Addicted

Feb 12, 2013
    Run setup.exe from folder soruces in ISO file.

3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Not from sources, from ISOs root :cool2:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Afaik that one is missing the crucial activation checks ... :g:. If the upgrade path is legit and the system is properly activated, you can always skip all key prompts.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. joluboga

joluboga MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    OP, which editions of Windows do you currently have installed on your computers? If you have Windows 8.1 Single Language, you'll need the corresponding iso: Windows 10 Single Language, not the Multiple-Editions one.

When you use the RIGHT iso, it doesn't ask for keys during the upgrade process.

6. plimoman

plimoman MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2010
    I got to this answer too late, I did the media creation tool upgrade which takes very long instead. I just noticed afterwards the laptop was Windows 7 Pro and I was trying Home and Home single language. I will make sure I have the right ISO on my next upgrades.

7. genuineintel

genuineintel MDL Member

Apr 28, 2009
    How about Windows 8.1 Enterprise activated with MAK? Can it be upgraded directly from Windows 10 ISO? If so, which version is applicable:confused: Thanks:worthy:

8. oloruin

oloruin MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2014
    You could use mediacreatetool once to create the proper versions of USB installers. I upgraded quite a few systems on launch day with a mediacreatetool USB drive without issues. I upgraded a few stubborn systems via mediacreatool / upgrade this unit.

9. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    No Free Upgrade for Volume versions (i.e. Ent)!!!

Only KMS atm.

10. plimoman

plimoman MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2010
    I've managed to do the upgrade on a couple windows 8.1 systems using the Windows 10 ISO (not single language). Once completed and activated I do a clean install using the same ISO on a USB stick. Problem is it will not activate after the clean install. I read a few places that you must use a valid microsoft account for this to work. Is this correct?