Upgrade Win 8 Core from OEM to Win 8 Pro using KMS Key?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by sscywong, Nov 1, 2012.

1. sscywong

sscywong MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2009
    I just get a new PC with Win 8 Core with it.

Is it possible to upgrade it to Win 8 Pro using the KMS key?

Tried to upgrade directly using Win 8 Pro MCP key got from MS but failed...

Thanks

2. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Failed how? what error you getting - BTW not KMS key... its WMC key:rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. wolf69

wolf69 MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    the reason it failed is because the key is an upgrade for pro not core if u want to go to pro u can try the kms key and see if it will take it

4. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Need Pro to get WMC - with core you must get Windows 8 Pro Pack for $69.99... apparentlyo_O

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. smashed

smashed MDL Junior Member

Feb 6, 2008
    Here's a way to do it without a clean install from core. Borrow a friend's pro upgrade key. Put the machine in airplane mode. Use the pro key. Let it install. Then use slmgr.vbs -ipk and put in the kms client key. Then you can activate against a KMS server.

6. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Here's what you do, you updgrade via Windows 8 Pro KMS key (as you asked in the 1st post), then permanintly activate forever using the WMC Windows 8 Pro to WMC upgrade key​. No clean install needed.

7. smashed

smashed MDL Junior Member

Feb 6, 2008
    My version of core wouldn't allow an upgrade via the Pro KMS key. Invalid key.

8. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Use "Windows Anytime Upgrade" and google for "CRYQH" and use the key.

9. memor86

memor86 MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2013
    I have been googling for a couple of hours with no luck about how to turn my 8 core version to pro.

im using microsoft tool kit to activate my windows, i want to be able to use the same and dont wanna have any troubles

is there a key generator that i can download from this website to generate upgrade keys?

10. MSDNAA

MSDNAA MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2013
    First of all you shouldn't have bumped this old thread. Secondly this is not a place where you can request for "keys" unless you wish to get yourself banned. Read the rules. To answer your question, MTK is a tool which something activates your Windows, but it doesn't mean that you won't have any problem using it, if you are not looking for a problem then you should buy the genuine product.