Upgrade Windows 8.0 to 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by LaZBoy, Dec 20, 2014.

1. LaZBoy

LaZBoy MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2008
    Hi. I am running Windows 8.0 Pro RTM activated with Microsoft Toolkit. Now I want to upgrade to 8.1 and was wondering what is the proper way to do it? Since I am activated with Microsoft Toolkit does my windows installation count as VLK then? Do I need to change key to a retail key first? Do I need to uninstall MST first? Can I do an in-place upgrade with the Win8.1 Pro VL from murphys thread?

2. eight

eight Guest

You can not upgrade to 8.1 if your 8 is activated using cody's toolkit as far as I know.

3. LaZBoy

LaZBoy MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2008
    hmmm not even if I uninstall the toolkit. Change key to a generic retailkey, upgrade and then re-activate with the toolkit?

4. Mike.Chance

Mike.Chance MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2013
    I think - if you can upgrade - you will be offered it via the store.
    If you are logged on with an MS account - go to the store and see.

5. eight

eight Guest

No can do

You can not upgrade to 8.1 if your 8 is activated using cody's toolkit not even from the store.

Irrespective of a Microsoft account.

6. LaZBoy

LaZBoy MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2008
    #8 LaZBoy, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    (OP)
    Ok so basically a fresh install is the only way to go. Just one last thought. What if I have a genuine Windows 8.0 Pro WMC key?`I got one of those from the free offer that you could take advantage of in the early days of win8 launch. So would this work:

1. Stay activated by MST
    2. Add feature WMC with my genuine Win8.0 Pro with WMC key (this should make it a genuine Win8proWmc)
    3. Uninstall MST
    4. Upgrade using either a Win 8.1 Pro WMC ISO or via store.

Would that work?

EDIT:

I tried upgrading my laptop today. What I did was this:

1. Install Win8.0 Pro retail and activate with MST
    2. Run the setup.exe from my bootable usb with Win8.1 Pro VLK (murphys)

I got the option to keep all files and apps etc, so I went ahead and 25minutes later it was upgraded to 8.1 with nothing lost, and still activated. Though I did end up with a "Windows.old" afterwards so not surw what to make of it.