upgrade windows 8 to 8.1 using system builder ISO

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by navidnouri, Jan 5, 2014.

1. navidnouri

navidnouri MDL Novice

Jun 13, 2010
    Hi

can i upgrade my laptop from windows 8 to windows 8.1 using a system builder iso?
    my VAIO shipped with pre-installed windows 8 on it and no serial stick, so i extracted the serial from BIOS, it is a Core edition of windows 8 x64,(don't know if i got single language or not!) and found someone that shared a genuine untouched iso of windows 8.1 non-PRO OEM x64 for system builders,

so if i use it to upgrade from 8 to 8.1 does it accept my serial after the installation assuming i enter the generic serial in the installation? and does it differ from my own edition of windows and do i lose anything or any info will change on the laptop using this upgrade method?

2. NiFu

NiFu MDL Member

Jun 29, 2013
    Yes.

Yes.

Yes. After you have upgraded you have Windows 8.1 instead of Windows 8.

• Installed programs, documents, pictures, music, videos, etc. are retained.
    • Not installed programs (portable programs, copied programs) you have to install again.
    • Windows system configurations are set to default values (e.g. border size of desktop windows, sort order of Windows Explorer, energy profiles, etc.).
    • Program configurations are retained (e.g. default font settings in MS Word).