Upgrade Windows XP OEM to Windows 7 OEM

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by wyatterp, Sep 25, 2014.

1. wyatterp

wyatterp MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2014
    Hi everyone,

I've been doing a lot of reading for the last week on if what I'm proposing is possible and have made it to the point where I am very, very confused due to an overwhelming amount of info.

My goal: I have an Acer netbook with Windows XP and want to install Windows 7 OEM. First, is this even possible? (I know - it's technically not a legal process). From what I have read it seems that it is when modifying the bios (updating to include SLIC 2.1), installing a new certificate and installing an oem key.

From all of the reading I've done, here are the steps I've set for myself to successfully complete this with oem activation.

1. Update BIOS to latest version 1.29 within Windows XP (bios from acer site)

2. Backup original XP certificate and key as a backup plan (not sure how)

3. Check that SLIC 2.1 is in the BIOS with SLIC Dump ToolKit

4. Get Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit iso and use UltraISO to modify sources\ei.cfg:

[EditionID]
    HomePremium
    [Channel]
    OEM
    [VL]

5. Install Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

6. Install the new certificate:

Place the certificate file ACRSYSACRPRDCT.xrm-ms in C:\

Run cmd as Administrator

Type the following command:

slmgr -ilc C:\ACRSYSACRPRDCT.xrm-ms

Press ENTER and wait until a message confirms that the certificate has been correctly installed.

7. Install the new key:

Run cmd as Administrator

Type the following command:

slmgr -ipk (insert key from MDL thread here)

Press ENTER and wait until a message confirms that the key has been correctly installed.

Am I missing anything and with a long shot, will this work?

Thank you for any advice you can provide. There is a WEALTH of information in this community.

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. wyatterp

wyatterp MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2014
    Thanks to both EFA11 and urie for your quick responses! I'm somewhat familiar with windows loader. Doesn't it basically trick the system on startup to thinking the correct certificate exists in the bios?

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    It loads SLIC 2.1 into memory before windows starts.