Upgrade with MediaCreatorTool while your upgrade is reserved?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by cengizhan, Jul 31, 2015.

1. cengizhan

cengizhan MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    i have read different microsoft pages about this but nothing is still clear for me. :eek:

- some pages say first i have to upgrade using windows update,
    - some pages say i can also upgrade with MediaCreatorTool without a CD and USB if WindowsUpdate upgrade doesnt work
    - some pages say i can also upgrade with CD and USB

Did anyone use MediaCreatorTool to upgrade while free upgrade is reserved and not used?

2. Sakuya

Sakuya MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    You can wait for Windows Update to roll it to you.
    Or you can use the MediaCreator Tool to force an upgrade, or create a DVD or USB to upgrade.

It's all the same thing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    The point is that iso created with media creator can be used to upgrade and then clean install. This uses bandwidth in the same way or perhaps less than windows update.
    Once you create the iso thru media creator
    Right click the iso to mount.
    Then run setup.
    It will be updated in 15-30 mins.
    You can keep the ISO and then do clean installs subsequently with immediate activation (skip key during install).This is no piracy as once you are able to upgrade, MS stores your hardware info on system and you are free to perform upgrades/clean installs.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...