Upgrading 8 to 8.1 either freezes or installs and gets constant blue screens

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ryouga, Dec 14, 2014.

1. ryouga

ryouga MDL Member

Apr 15, 2008
    8 itself works fine its only when upgrading to 8.1, its a prebuilt pc but tried 2 different powersupplies and 2 graphics card with same issues, removed a stick of ram etc.

First time I booted one of first things I did was run windows update and put 8.1 on so didnt really check if it ran smooth, seemed ok till I tried clicking on steam exe when it blue screened, next time left it 30 minutes on desktop then opened steam to get blue screen, next time I just ran used browser and it was fine for about 20 minutes then blue screen.

I then restored to factory settings so it went back to 8 and the problem went away, ran it for hours no issue, tested steam it worked, updates worked, but then I decided to risk updating to 8.1 and it took ages on the preparing and install then froze on the install!

Why is this happening?

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Is it an Tablet or an Laptop? I ask because you mention Reset to Factory Default!! If so, please post ALL details!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Upgrade is always bitchy ... you should opt for a fresh install of Win 8.1 and check whether the errors persist :g:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ryouga

ryouga MDL Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Its a prebuilt one hence having 8 on it, was wanting to upgrade to 8.1 so I can make my own disc and use wim to esd conversion to fit it on a single layer rewritable (as it is, got it to like 4.6 gig so need to compress it) literally all I want to do is install it then convert the wim file then burn it then install onto a spare drive I have and keep the shop bought hard drive as backup, its a pain to do that though.

5. spion

spion MDL Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Update your videocard drivers and check all drivers for updates.
    Afther that try to upgrade your windows 8 installation to windows 8.1. Its a known bug that the upgrade crashes when video drivers from windows 8 are not compatible with windows 8.1.