Upgrading a clone of 7 to 10 with dualboot and keeping both activated. Possible?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by BrownSky667, Jan 7, 2016.

1. BrownSky667

BrownSky667 MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2012
    Hello. I've done my research but I'm finding conflicting information everywhere and things have changed since the win 10 launch so I guess I better ask here for an updated insight, not only for me since I've noticed a lot of people try this route.

• I have Win 7 Ultimate 64 activated with a Bios mod and slic 2.1 in SSD1, SSD1 is old and I'm upgrading to a new one.
    • In the new SSD2 I'm planning with going with Win7 again but I don't want to lose the chance to upgrade to 10 when all the bugs and tracking are finally ironed out.
    • My plan is to install 7 in the SSD2, update it and clone it to another disk (SSD1) so I can update that copy of 7 to 10 while keeping the original 7 in SSD2 activated.
    • I'm planning to dualbooting with the bios boot tools.

The question is simple: After activating that clone of 7 upgraded to 10 would I be able to keep my original 7 activation and drive intact? I read somewhere that this is against the EULA so maybe MS will try to screw this type of cheat later.

Another question kind of related: Would you say that I can let go the MS free offering and find a (bulletproof) way to activate Win10 later on like we do for 7? thanks for your insight.

2. Gharlane00

Gharlane00 MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2009
    If Microsoft cared to close the BIOS mod method, they would have already done so. Your Win 7 install should work indefinitely. Upgrading to 10 will give you a Digital Entitlement for that machine that will be bulletproof. All other methods of "cheating" are bulletproof only as long as Microsoft wants them to be.

3. Mansome

Mansome MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2015
    As far as I know machines just do not deactivate unless its kms. Its always going to stay activated.

4. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    No problem. Also works with 8.1, in case you upgrade 7 to 8.1, then go to 10.

5. BrownSky667

BrownSky667 MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2012
    Thanks for your input people I'll eventually move to 10, that's certain for almost everyone. I'm not going to lie either, I bought an used Macbook to test the waters in case of MS going full derp. Just to clarify, I wasn't meaning MS going against the BIOS mod tweaks (imagine the s***storm) but after the dual concurrent activation thing.

Do this means that Win 7 activation relies on the Bios while Win 10 activation relies on a fingerprint of your hardware? Or is there any other reason why or how this works?