Upgrading for a game ?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Engelbiru, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Engelbiru

Engelbiru MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2018
    I guys,

i got:
    p7p55le
    8g ddr3
    i5750 oc 3.60ghz
    gtx1060 6gb oc 2142mzh
    ssd 256 go

Just bought black ops4 and the game and far to be beatuiful, i could play medium graphic (infine settings) for 60-85fps but it seems the gmae is getting heavier after every 18gb update :)

Should go for a new GPU meaning new socket so new motherboard and so on...

Considering a lot af game are turning well i wonder whether i should upgrade or wait considerin black ops is not well optimized.

friends are are playing the game with much more expensive pcs and got fps drops, get kicked from game, infinité laoding and so on....

Any pro ?

2. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Hello @Engelbiru - It could be less of a problem with your hardware or the game itself and more of a problem with your operating system. What Windows operating system are you using? Windows 10 by any chance?

I myself have noticed that every version of Windows 10 since Build 1703 (Creators Update) was introduced has not been good for gamers. Do a Google search and you'll see a lot of complaints about frame stuttering and freezing on the later builds. I've found from my own experience with Endless Sky, a fairly simple 2D game, that the last version of Windows 10 that worked without problem was Build 1607.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Engelbiru

Engelbiru MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2018
    Yop i'm still on windows seven hesitating to upgrade daz version to windows 10. I m actually satisfied with that OS as long as long it is still supported and maintained.

Should i wait or should go now ?

4. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Yeah stay on win7 until you have to move to win10. Using the LTSC release of win10 version 1809 seems to yield better results with games that I've found. It doesn't have stuff like game mode that may or may not cause problems.

In terms of hardware, it seems it's always a battle with PC games. I only run a game if my hardware can support it rather than upgrade hardware to support a game. Otherwise you get into this never ending hardware upgrade merry-go-round. Most of the games I play are older, but I just got a new fairly powerful machine so I may look at some newer games now.

5. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
    Take another drink for the voyage.:band:

6. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    A better GPU can will enhance the gaming experience but to me I5 is bit old already for high end games that are out their now.