Upgrading from 1607 to 1703 (and above) freezes my computer.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by SwampFox56, Jan 13, 2018.

1. SwampFox56

SwampFox56 MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2012
    Basically, I've been trying to update my outdated Windows 10 machine from 1607 to the lasted for the past year or so. Every time I try, the upgrade succeeds - but after I log in, explorer constantly crashes and the computer comes to a dead crawl.

When I try to open any program as well - it will blue screen. I can't seem to figure out what this problem is, because I can't find anyone else online that's having the same issue. The specs of the machine I'm having issues with is as follows.

MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7-4770
    16GB's of DDR3 ram
    Two XFX R9 270X Radeons (running in Crossfire mode)
    Creative Soundblaster Z

My hard drive array is as follows.

2TB + 32GB mSATA SSD (running in RAID)
    1TB System backup drive.
    One 500GB Seagate + One 320 Seagate running as one logical drive (also system backup)

2. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    I recommend you to backup and do a clean install of 1709. Make sure that your bios is updated and install your operating system in UEFI mode. If it still bluescreens, check your memory for errors (memtest86) and check your harddrive for bad sectors.

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Firstly check the Event Log for Error! If you get the BlueScreen error, there will be also a related Log file, check that for what triggers the error!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. frontman

frontman MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2009
    I think your RAID configuration may be to blame. I see that you have the following configuration:

2TB + 32GB mSATA SSD (running in RAID).

Stop using the 32GB mSATA SSD as your acceleration drive and you should be able to upgrade.
    Then, if you want to experiment, do a full backup and re-enable acceleration (be sure to use the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver which works with your setup).
    If it crashes just restore the backup and think about installing/cloning Windows to an SSD.

5. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    It could also be a incompatible driver issue.

6. SwampFox56

SwampFox56 MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2012
    Thanks for the recommendations guys. Here's what happened...

I took frontman's advice and disabled the acceleration of my main main HDD, and deleted the cache drive off of my SSD. Then, I disabled acceleration in my UEFI settings, and deleted the RAID configuration. Then I took TigTox's advice and decided to reformat my entire system. I REALLY didn't want to do this, but I guess it was necessary because with these fixes, build 1709 installed with any problems and Windows no longer crashes.

After Windows installed, I decided to reinstall FreeFileSync first so I could re-synchronize all of my backup files back onto my main HDD. Unfortunately - I didn't know that Windows changed the default location of (pretty much) ever user folder to default to OneDrive in 1709. So when I attempted to resync the files - FreeFileSync didn't recognize the files on my OneDrive, and pretty much deleted EVERYTHING from my OneDrive.

On top of this - I didn't realize that I'd set FreeFileSync to MOVE all of my files from my backup drives to my main HDD. So while it was performing it's synchronization - it deleted all of my files off of my backup drives. When I realized what happened, I panicked. I tried to undelete the partition that Windows f**ked with in Diskpart. Well, that didn't work.

To prevent further damage to the files on my backup drive - I disabled write permissions to these drives so Windows couldn't screw me over further. I went and downloaded a copy of EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard and was able to recover (around) a terabyte of info from my backup drives. However, I was still unable to recover (around) 250GB's of info. On top of this, all of my Word, PowerPoint, Eagle CAD, Music, etc files were permanently deleted from OneDrive. So I lost pretty much every important file I need. Loosing all of my Eagle CAD designs REALLY hurts.... a lot...

I REALLY regret updating to 1709 right now...

Drivers are working fine, however... so I guess I've got that going for me.