Upgrading from 7600.16384 to Windows 7 RTM Final

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by P40L0, Jul 14, 2009.

1. P40L0

P40L0 MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2009
    #1 P40L0, Jul 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
    Hi guys, I'm Paolo, sorry for my bad english (I'm Italian), recently registered, nice to be here... :D

Considering that 90% of us already clean-installed (with euphory) the supposed RTM version of 7, do you think it will be possible to full-upgrade the 7600.16384 build into the final (and I mean: FINAL, the real and only one :D) without reformatting everything like we had to do from the RC version?

I mean: the installer of 16384 says that it's not possible to upgrade from beta/RC/pre-release version of Windows 7...but will it consider Build 7600 one of them after seeing how it's made? No watermarks on desktop, no date expiration, no working RC serials... It's not seem "beta" at all to me... ;) Maybe it will be possibile...

...or maybe not. And in this case, do you think that we can possibly work-around that like many of us (included me) did from Windows 7 Beta to RC modifying an .ini file inside the setup? It worked like a charm for me that time...

I really, REALLY don't want to reinstall and configure everything once again, so, let the Brain Storm begin!

Thanks very much for reading :D

2. drably

drably MDL Member

Feb 4, 2008
    i would imagine you will have to wait for the real final to be released before what you are asking is able to be determined.

a fresh install is always best regardless.

3. mazodude

mazodude MDL Junior Member

Jan 4, 2009
    yes it will be posible, HOWEVER it is not advisable.

4. P40L0

P40L0 MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2009
    How do you know that? :eek:
    Anyway, I repeat: in my experience upgrading from Beta 7000 to RC 7100 was really seamless and just perfect, keeping all of my files and configuration perfectly.

Here we are even on the same build, 7600, and the RTM will have only minor adjustment, I don't think there will be problem if it will be possible tough ;)

5. Kromgol

Kromgol MDL Junior Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Well, what can happen if you upgrade? What can go wrong?

6. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    Problems with software that is low-level driver-dependant (like many AV's, Firewalls, PDF Printers and Virtual drives).
    Lower performance (compared to fresh install).
    More useless crap on the HDD.
    Fragmented disc ? Not sure of the last one since the upgrade process deploys the image as a whole and moves the 'old crap' back on it's place :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Kromgol

Jul 12, 2009
    And how high is the chance for it to happen?
    And useless crap, well, it's not that you look into the Windows folder every day, or even care about it, slower performance, sure, but will you see the difference? I don't think so.

8. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    How high ? No one can tell. However if you decide to upgrade then you know the risk and you shouldn't blame MS for any errors.
    By doing a fresh install you have always a clean OS.
    If someone has enough knowledge - nearly all settings/files from the old OS can be transported to the new one - it just takes more time (but anyway - upgrade takes more time too).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Kromgol

Jul 12, 2009
    Yeah well, i could always create another partition and just move all my stuffs there and format the "leftover partition", but i feel like upgrading is the easiest and most comfortable way, and i will take the risk, as it seems worth it.

10. mazodude

mazodude MDL Junior Member

Jan 4, 2009
    because M$ has said the same hack for upgrading from Beta to RC can be used to upgrade from RC to RTM

11. P40L0

P40L0 MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Did someone tried to upgrade from 1684 to 1685?
    If so: was it necessary to use this hack or it can be done without problems? Did everything worked successfully?

Thanks! ;)

12. hexx0r

hexx0r MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2009
    P40L0, se tu hai istallato la 1684 che era nativa in inglese si presuppone che tu faccia l'upgrade con la 1685 sempre in inglese. Di conseguenza appena uscira la ISO su Connect della 1685 in italiano non puoi effettuare l'upgrade su un sistema con lingua diversa(inglese) anche se ci hai installato mui+lp.

P40L0, if you installed the previous 1684 en-US build is supposed to be upgraded with 1685 en-US. As soon as the official Italian-native ISO will be available in Connect you can't upgrade from your 1684 en-US native lang, even if you managed to install italian mui + lp.

Correct me if I'm wrong

Ciao

13. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    i had the chinese version of 1684 with english pack installed and i couldnt upgrade using the english version of 1685,had to do a clean install.

14. P40L0

P40L0 MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Perfetto, you're not wrong ;)

In ogni caso ho intenzione di scaricare la versione inglese della RTM final da Connect, e successivamente, poi, andrò ad applicare il futuro language pack ufficiale, non è un problema!

___

In any case I'm going to install the english RTM/Final version from Connect, and then I will apply the coming official italian language pack, it's not a problem ;)

15. P40L0

P40L0 MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I've just upgraded successfully from 16384 to 16385, without any hack or something, en-EN/x64 copy, in less then 2 hours, and EVERYTHING works perfectly without a bug or a performance problem...

...it's everything faster instead. Good job Microsoft, I suggest everyone to try the Upgrade feature if you don't want to clean install all over again ;)