Upgrading from 8 to 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Linktopower, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Linktopower

Linktopower MDL Member

Sep 5, 2012
    So with Windows 8.1 being released I'm was wanting to ask if I have a legal windows 8, and I obtain a Windows 8.1 iso.
    Would I be able to upgrade and not have to activate? since I was already legal? or do you have a product key to do an upgrade to 8.1?

I know that sounds confusing but I haven't really messed with windows 8 in quite some time. :|

2. Malak101

Malak101 MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2012
    You can upgrade from Windows 8.0 to 8.1 without needing to re-activate. Genuine Windows 8.0 retail serial keys can activate Windows 8.1 on a clean install.

3. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2012
    The short answer is NO....if this is a clean install. You can use the ISO to upgrade, as if you were going through the upgrade the MS store. The only benefit with the ISO as it stands now is, if you need to repair the upgrade install of 8.1, then you have it to do so.

4. Linktopower

Linktopower MDL Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Alright thanks for the info guys that's all I needed to know. :)

5. Linktopower

Linktopower MDL Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Obtained an ISO, cleaned installed with generic key, then changed the key to my retail pro key and blam activated.
    Its just as I thought simple, I have to say 8.1 is quite a but nicer.

6. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    I did the same as Linktopower but there is one more step involved where you have to get the secret code from Microsoft by phone or e-mail. It's one more Microsoft Pain In The Ass to have to go through.

7. Linktopower

Linktopower MDL Member

Sep 5, 2012
    What? there is another step, I figured it was over after I used the change product key in the PC Settings, when it checked my key it took a few moments and it activated just fine.

8. nizardigital

nizardigital MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2013
    buy win8 license, activate the serial number, and upgrade from microsoft store.

9. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Weird. Legit keys activate normally, no worries. MAK keys need to be still not blacklisted for a phone activation, and KMS uses none of those activation techniques. What method are you using?

He already has a Win 8 license, and an ISO of 8.1. Saves him the pain of having to download through the store (which holds a risk of downloading corrupted files), but otherwise there's no tangible benefit.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. gonz621

gonz621 MDL Junior Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Your "Retail Pro key" means Windows 8 Pro key activated in a Windows 8.1 Pro system?

11. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Get the iso from the repository, install with generic key and once done replace with your original key, simple as that