Upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Pro (activation fails)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by DaGoz, Apr 29, 2019.

1. DaGoz

DaGoz MDL Junior Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Hey guys,

I've got a new Spectre x360 which came with Windows 10 Home installed. I thought, no big deal, by now I'm an old hand at upgrading to Pro. But this one has me stumped, as the normal methods don't seem to be working. Here's what I have done:

1. Completely clean/reformat the harddrive and install Windows 8.1

2. Activate Windows 8.1 with MSTK (confirm activation)

3. Install all drivers, including (W)LAN (I used Snappy Driver, it found everything except some Intel Sensor thing and another unknown device), download and install updates.

4. Create an ISO of Windows 1511, with pid.txt added to Sources so it will upgrade to Pro.

5. Mount ISO, begin upgrade to Pro

6. Windows 10 Pro installs.... But it is not activated. I get this error:

Activation failed because this device doesn't have a valid digital
    entitlement or product key. Error code: 0x803F7001

I double and triple checked that Windows 8.1 said it was activated, and I was under the impression I did more than needed on the drivers front, as only the (W)LAN driver is supposed to be essential. I'm completely stumped. I've used this exact method on other computers with great success, including the one I'm currently typing on (which is also a Spectre x360) so I have no idea why this one is being so stubborn. Can anyone offer advice on where I may have gone wrong and/or what else I could try?

Thanks!

2. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    did you try the upgrade disconnected from the internet..That has worked for me when installing from an extracted .iso

3. DaGoz

DaGoz MDL Junior Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Yes, I always disconnect the internet when updating as a general rule. When I login, I go to "Activation" and it says "Unable to activate" (because I'm disconnected from the internet), but as soon as I enable it, I get the above error message.

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Did you install 8.1 Pro, did you confirm it still was Pro after using MTK?
    Did the upgrade to 1511 end up being Pro? And did it say it was MAK activated (it should have)?
    And did you insert the generic pro hwid key, to confirm it got a HWID (it should have)?

Your system has a MSDM for 10 Home, that's why i ask these questions.

ps, not really a need for being offline when upgrading, actually it's needed to go online for the ticket to be sent to msft servers.

5. DaGoz

DaGoz MDL Junior Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Yes, I installed Pro, double and triple checked it was Pro and activated before I began the upgrade.

Yes, the upgrade was Windows 10 Pro. I was having a problem where when I tried to upgrade, it only gave me the option to upgrade to Home, so I extracted the ISO files and added the pid.txt with the generic key to Sources, and then it upgraded to Pro. 1511 will not activate afterward.

See above. I inserted the generic key directly into the ISO via pid.txt file.

I know it's not, but it's just force of habit when doing these things. For instance, when using the gatherosstate method, don't you have to be offline initially? Either way, like I said, I only stay offline in the beginning, as soon as I go online, I get the error. It's really frustrating to me, as I've used these exact same files to upgrade other computers, so I have no idea what's going on here.

6. DaGoz

DaGoz MDL Junior Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Yeah, I wasn't using the pid for activation, I was using it so the ISO would allow me to upgrade to Pro, since it was defaulting back to Home. It SHOULD activate since Windows 8.1 Pro was already activated, and I'm stumped why it isn't working.

7. DaGoz

DaGoz MDL Junior Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Did you download any drivers while in 8.1 Pro?

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    In a VM all needed basic/generic windows drivers are present.

I kept the VM offline till 1511 upgrade was finished.

9. DaGoz

DaGoz MDL Junior Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Do you reckon missing drivers could be the issue? I remember when I was using the Windows 7 gatherosstate method, it was VERY picky about having ALL the drivers before the upgrade would work properly.

10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    When this still was needed to get a hwid, i did test it on several systems that didn't have the HWID established before, and many times, the windows native (or offered on WU) drivers were sufficient for it.

But the (W)LAN drivers were needed, and no ! marks in the devicemanager.

11. DaGoz

DaGoz MDL Junior Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Hmm.... I did mention I had some ! marks in 8.1..... Something about Intel Sensor, and another unknown device. Could those be the problem?

12. TGNT

TGNT MDL Member

Mar 2, 2010
    I had this problem before. After I removed the Wireless card, and use the USB wireless instead, amazingly, the Windows is activated.