Upgrading PC Desktop RAM - Without losing Genuine Activation of Windows 8 - Possible?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Chris10Lyn, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Chris10Lyn

Chris10Lyn MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2012
    Upgradin PC Desktop RAM from 2gb to 4gb or 6gb - Without losing Genuine Activation of Windows 8 - Possible or not?

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    recently I upgraded a box from 4 to 8 Gig and had no issues

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You may get problem if you change the Mainboard, but Memory!!

So, don't worry!:biggrin:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    You will loose one vote so next upgrade could lead to reactivation notice...

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Er.....??:confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Sorry, that's just BS! I never seen or even heard that the Upgrade of Memory has deactivated any computer running Windows, not the older versions, nor the new once! That's just panic rumours!

Even in Windows 8, which we're talking about here in THIS forum, will an de-activation happens only in special circumstances, but memory upgrade or changes!

8. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Well, I have recently updated from 4 GB to 6 GB without any hitch. I'm using (legal) Pro WMC. AFAIK, the weight imposed on RAM size is ignorable.

9. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    That is right... if windows in actual calculate votes according to that then you are free to change RAM as many times you want coz you lost that vote with first change & with future changes to RAM will not lead to anything ...:biggrin:

But how about 2nd & 3rd hardware change?

10. maddog0266

maddog0266 MDL Expert

Apr 26, 2011
    Changed my ram from 4 gigs to 16 gigs no problem. Even changed ram speed no problem.
    Changed CPU from 1.86 core2 duo to 2.8 core 2 duo then again to a 3.0 core 2 quad and still did not have to reactivate.
    Have even added two 3 tera drives no problem.

The only time I had a problem was I changed MB in another system from AMD to a Intel MB that I put the old CPU and ram from the other system.

11. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    same here: I moved a disc from one box to another, similar hardware but different enough to trigger the flag. The beauty was that this disc was genuinely activated before and after a brief hit on the activate button removed the watermark and any kind of notification. This was a major change and no wonder that activation was lost. The count of 25 (or whatever trigger level) was overridden and was expected to arise. As pointed in my earlier post above, a RAM issue did not harm the system and it is no need to talk about the amount of change: +2, +4, + any value keeps your activation alive.

12. catdog215

catdog215 MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Just upgraded from 4gb ram to 8gb ram and no affect on activation. I'm still activated. U will lose activation if motherboard change.

13. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    I change RAM on my virtual machines all the time, and I have never needed to reactivate. I have also changed RAM on my servers several times, last time from 16GB to 32GB, and no reactivation.

14. geddeeee

geddeeee MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2008
    Re-activation is only about the motherboard when referring to 'hardware'.

I've changed RAM, video card, drives and soundcard without loss of activation. These are classed as 'peripheral devices', so you won't have a problem.
    It's been the same with all versions of Windows. Change the motherboard and you have to reinstall the OS.

So much paranoia about Win 8 activation... :weeping:

15. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    if it hasn't been answered enough yet, there is no problem with adding or removing RAM that would cause deactivation.

16. ambidav

ambidav MDL Guru

May 14, 2008
    Upgraded a laptop from 4gb to 8gb everything is fine here!! no issues :)

17. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Since 2001, the year those articles were created, many things has changed. That's why we got several new OS's because about those technical changes for Hard-and/or software, the way how those were working are changed as well. If not, we would still on those old, from today knowledge annoying systems!

Really don't understand why some people still need to spread rumours well known that those is just BS!

From our experiences in my company and also my own, since Windows Vista the activation is more stable than in those older OS's and not break's that fast. Beside that Microsoft has tighten the activation process, once done it work like a charm, no problems. Even changed all hardware, except the HDD with the OS, the activation is still fully valid as long as it's not changed from Intel CPU to AMD CPU or vice versa. It may could be de-activated if the chipset of the MB changed isn't the same as beforehand but must.

I had moved the HDD with Windows 8 Pro & WMC from an ASRock 890 MB to an ASRock 990 MB with all different hardware (CPU, Memory, Graphic Card, DVD, PSU) and the activation is still valid! Only thing what was changed in that move were that the drivers for that other MB was need to be installed. First start after the move Windows 8 wasn't in activated status. After "updated" the drivers and a new restart, windows 8 went to activated status.

I done that just an ½h ago for to check.

18. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009