Upgrading to IE11 from 10, then back again - VDI Environment

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by Cripple.Zero, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Cripple.Zero

Cripple.Zero MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2016
    Currently where I work, we have implemented VDI pools (both static and floating) where users are currently utilizing Internet Explorer 10 for the primary browser. We frequently have users that encounter what we dub the "white screen of death" when sometimes launching IE. Our only fix is to upgrade to IE11 and downgrade back to 10 for these users.

Unfortunately, we can't stay at IE11 (or use other browsers) because a lot of our internal applications are built around IE and aren't yet current with IE11 whatever standards that IE10 doesn't have. (you're preaching to the choir if you say we should upgrade - but that's another story for another day).

This only affects our VDI users and not any of the users that have physical machines.

Would anyone have any ideas I could try to help alleviate this issue?

I am IT/Desktop Systems Support at my company, but don't have full access to the VDI infrastructure (yet); but I have full access to the group of guys that handle it. Any help would definitely relieve some continuous frustration.

(I apologize if I placed this in the wrong forum. Mods - please move if in wrong location)

2. herrkarl

herrkarl MDL Junior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    You don't tell which VDI environment you use, but you can try to run IE from prompt "iexplore.exe -extoff". This disables all IE addins. If it doesn't white screen on you then, it is a now disabled addins fault.

If you VDI in Citrix, there is a nice read from Carl Webster, google him and "Internet Explorer 10 and 11 Open to Blank White Screen or Become Unresponsive".

3. Cripple.Zero

Cripple.Zero MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2016
    #3 Cripple.Zero, Jul 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    (OP)
    I apologize for not seeing this sooner. (I guess I didn't select my notification settings correctly). It is VMWare VDI, we use both VM View Center and VM Administration Console.

I've submitted the information to the 'VDI guys' to see if the same concepts proposed in the articles will work in our environment.