Upgrading to obtain licence for 10, keeping win 7 as well

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by bobplop, Nov 6, 2016.

1. bobplop

bobplop MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2009
    There's a lot of information here, a bit overwhelming if you've been away for a while.
    I would like to see if what I am planning to do is the good choice:

At the moment I'm running Windows 7 professional, DAZ activated.
    What I plan to do:
    Create another partition on my SSD for windows 10.
    Dual boot for the time being with the Windows 7 system.

So what I do not want to do is upgrade my present windows 7 to Windows 10, because obviously I can't dual boot anymore .

Would this be a good way to go about it?
    1. Clone the Windows 7 system partition
    2. Use the " Windows 10 free upgrade for customers who use assistive technologies" so I obtain a genuine licence.

(I presume this upgrade will be installed on top of the existing Windows 7 system)
    (Running the win 7 professional version, I presume I will automatically get the " pro " version of Windows 10?)

3.using the obtained genuine licence to do a fresh install of Windows 10 on the newly created partition.
    4. clone the Windows 7 image back to it' s original partition, overwriting Windows 10 upgrade.

If there is a better way to do this I' d appreciate your suggestions.
    Thanks

2. Wazoo

Wazoo MDL Addicted

Nov 5, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #3 Daz, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Once you've done what Wazoo linked to you'll want to open up command prompt as an administrator and enter the following.

Code:
    bcdedit /set {current} bootmenupolicy legacy

bcdedit /set {default} bootstatuspolicy ignoreshutdownfailures
    Once you've done that you can reboot back into Windows 7 and reinstall the loader.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bobplop

bobplop MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2009
    Thanks for your help,
    Indeed, a much better way to go about it.
    Doing it this way I don't have to touch the existing windows 7 installation at all.
    I had actually read this text before, I didn't quite get it, reading it again, a bit slower this time, I see how it works.

Just a couple of points which are not clear to me:

Point 1:
    ' Install all necessary drivers before the next step otherwise your hardware id may not match the Windows 10 hardware id."
    I am already running win 7 so which drivers do I have to add?
    Point 2:
    So i don't need the " assistive technology upgrade " ? The regular iso from microsoft.com/windows10ISO will still work?

@DAZ
    Thanks Daz, and thank you for providing us with your excellent loader!
    I activated my Windows 7 system more than three years ago with your loader, only had to reapply it once after a faulty hard disk messed up my install.

5. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Not valid anymore.

Lievre

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #6 Enthousiast, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    Normal upgrade (to establish a free HWID for 10) using the iso still works, yen's gatherosstate shortcut also still works ;):)

7. bobplop

bobplop MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2009
    #7 bobplop, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    (OP)
    Windows 10 is installed and activated!
    I followed the instructions as given in the link from wazoo.
    I used the regular iso from microsoft.com/windows10ISO.
    Entered the bcdedit code
    downloaded the latest Daz loader and ran it, so win 7 is also activated again.
    Right after installing i got a win 10 bootmenu with the 2 choices, after i entered the bcdedit code it was replaced wit the old dos style bootmenu, which works fine.

So it turned out to be less complicated than i expected, thanks to your tips; thanks.
    Cheers