Upgrading to Win10, yes and maybe not ...

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by solo_voyager, Nov 11, 2017.

1. solo_voyager

solo_voyager MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2009
    With only a bit over 2 years until MS scraps Win7, I think it's time to finally take a close hard look at Win10.
    I tried the free 7 to 10 upgrade way back when, and ended up going back to 7, mainly because of the controversy over the call-home security/privacy issues.

I have to figure out Win10 because I will need to upgrade my galfriend's PC.
    I will probably upgrade mine also, but will dual boot it with a Linux flavor to seen if a change over could work for me.

I admit that I am completely ignorant about Win10 in its present state, Redstones(?), call-home, the last Windows version(?), and so on.

I believe my knowledge of the state of Win10 is too sparse to get the info and answers I'm looking for in one post.
    Can any one point me towards posts and/or articles that can enlighten me?

2. kgtuning

kgtuning MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2015
    There are so many good posts on this site. I like win10 enterprise ltsb.. no store, no cortana and no feature updates. I also run shutup10 for any other privacy issues.

3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #3 Enthousiast, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Latest official windows 10 = 16299.15
    If the system came with win 7 pre-installed it most likely will contain a slic table and you can upgrade (or go the gatherosstate route) to 10 and still get a free HWID (if this was done previously and the hardware (mobo, in general) has not changed, the HWID will still be valid and you can simply directly clean install windows 10).

If your system came with win 7 Home Premium and contains a valid slic, you even can use one of the Ultimate or Pro keys from DAZ' Windows Loader's keys.ini file to upgrade to 7 Pro or Ultimate by using the anytime upgrade option and it will still be genuinely activated, when you do that and you either upgrade or go the gatherosstate route you will get a HWID for 10 Pro too.

4. solo_voyager

solo_voyager MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2009
    #4 solo_voyager, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    (OP)
    Both our PCs are home built my me.
    Win7Ult. is installed as an OEM on both PCs.
    I added the SLIC tables and certificates.
    If I need to, I can do it again.

I did the Win10 Pro upgrade on my setup back about Sept, 2015.
    Then, right afterwards did a clean install.
    Then, I ripped it out and went back to Win7.
    I May have updated or reinstalled my UEFI since then.
    I did something with it, but not sure what it was now.
    But, it is still an OEM install.

Hey, I'm in my mid 70's.
    Don't give me a bad time.
    My memory isn't what it used to be.

I need to figure out which version I want to install on each PC.
    Chances are I'll upgrade to the Pro edition on hers, then do a clean install.
    I may want something else on mine, and do a clean install of that one, with the modifications needed to make it an OEM install.

Some of my notes from the Win10 upgrade seen to indicate that I cannot use BitLocker after doing the upgrade.
    There are other things I need to learn before I make my decisions on what and how I'll go about it.

That's why I want to fully understand what the situation is with Win10.
    I want to get it right, exactly the way I want it the first time.

5. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    16299.19 actually, at least for Home edition.

@OP
    You can't continue to live in the past, and the earlier you start learning Win10 the better. If you leave transition too late, you never know what might happen to complicate it. Regarding the privacy issue, imho too much noise is being made without tangible adverse consequences. Moreover, W7 & W8 updates have more or less brought their monitoring up to the level of 10.

I wouldn't even advise you to mess about with two systems, just take the jump. I managed it directly from XP, so I don't see why it should be so hard for more recent Windows.

As for posts, there are an awful lot, too many to go thru easily and meaningfully. I think you'd be better off first learning the ropes from an ebook in a systematic manner. You can then answer individual remaining questions by searching here of posting your query.

6. s1ave77

s1ave77 MDL Guide Dog/Dev

Aug 15, 2012
    Latest ISO/ESD/UUP is 16299.15. 16299.19 is after installing october CU, might change today.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. solo_voyager

solo_voyager MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2009
    My galfriend is pretty much a straight arrow.
    Privacy is not much of a concern to her.
    She uses FB and a few other socials that I never go near at no loss to me.
    The Pro version will suffice for her.

I'm coming of the opinion that I will probably go with the LTSB version and continue on with my usual practices,
    which, from what I've seen, will be a good mesh.
    Might try one or some of the call-home blockers along with it.

I prize my privacy and refuse to acquiesce to the growing invasion of it that has become common and accepted by many.
    I will always resist, and the game keeps me on my toes.

There is no big hurry to make the change.
    I will continue to look into it, and will be coming back with my questions.
    Thanks folks.

8. wyatt23

wyatt23 MDL Member

Apr 2, 2017
    solo-voyager, i would stick with your current os(unless its w10 of any edition) then switch to w10 only when hardware/software dictates. Remember, ltsb2019(or whatever the f**k they will call it) iss due in just over a year away, and what you learn about ltsb2016 may not apply to the 2019 abomination, i mean version.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...