Upgrading to Win8 with small SSD

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by OwenMelbz, Nov 9, 2012.

1. OwenMelbz

OwenMelbz MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2010
    Hi all,

I've got a 32gb SSD with windows 7 on as an OS drive, nothing else is on it apart from a few hundred meg of things.

Im trying to upgrade to windows 8, however the upgrade tool says I need at least 20gb of free space.

I dont, have enough space to upgrade it, and formatting isnt an option for me,

Can any bright spark think of a way I can upgrade my OS (ive 3 other drives) to win8 without loosing anything.

Many thanks! :tea:

2. shot²

shot² MDL Junior Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Disable / delete pagefile & hibernation files?

3. damianfox

damianfox MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Set page file to 1024 in both Min and Max, click set, reboot if needed.

Then run Command prompt as Admin - type in: powercfg -h off

These steps will bring Win7/Win8 to around 10GB ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. shot²

shot² MDL Junior Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Why 1024 ? Why not 2 or 768 ?

5. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Uninstall applications, which you can reinstall easily on W8 and save all data related to these apps as well as pictures or music files if any onto an external disc. This will get you a lot of free space, same as last good known copies of your system files.

6. OwenMelbz

OwenMelbz MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2010
    All my data is already externalised, hibernation is disabled and my page file is tiny.

I think i've freed enough up, however I'm having an issue with the upgrade tool now that is, Im on win 7 64bit ultimate, and when i run the upgrade tool, when it says

"What do you want to keep"

The only tickbox I get is. Nothing.

I dont have any options to save my preferences or installations.

I read somewhere this could be due to me moving my C:\Users\Owen file to D:\Users\Owen

Im trying to move all the contents back into the C drive, but then that again is causing a storage issue.

Can somebody confirm that this would actually do anything? Ive noticed all other profiles on the computer are inside C:\users but mine isnt as i moved it

7. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    You messed your system by moving files that are used by the upgrade process. Internal links are no more available so the new OS is totally confused. Forget it and do a clean install as this version will not go perfectly at all for your future