Upgrading to Windows 10 a one-way street?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by John Sutherland, Jun 10, 2015.

1. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. FunkyMike

FunkyMike MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    He is full of it.

3. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    If it's true there will be a disclaimer that you have to accept before it continues with the installation. No way they will attempt to pull a gotcha.

4. beamslider

beamslider MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2010
    He is completely full of horse pucky as any one with a computer shipped with an OEM version of windows tied to bios would still be able to revert. They wound not take the small percent that bought an OEM version with key that tied it to the hardware and screw them like that.

5. Shadykillas

Shadykillas MDL Junior Member

Mar 30, 2011
    It will not be a one way street if you have your old install key and media or if you have recovery media to clean install your old OS again. (I would pull a copy of your "cd" key before your upgrade). So some my ask who are you how do you know this information? Well I am not a Microsoft employee but I have installed hundreds of computers and every time having a valid key (with slmgr or phone activation) and your correct install media did the trick for Windows 7 and 8.x in those cases. As for downgrading no you will probably (like I am 99.99% sure) have to do a clean install of your old OS but it should still be possible.

Your best option is to make a backup of your OS before install or upgrade to Windows 10.

6. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    And do remember that MS also tells you to MAKE a RESTORE IMAGE, so if you do not like Windows 10 then you do have the ability to GO BACK..

also Previews still show a "click to revert back to Windows 7".
    and I usually follow and take all precausions... I have more than one RESTOREABLE IMAGE of my Windows 8.1 and do have all the MSUs to upgrade Windows 8 to 8.1

7. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
  8. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    I did a few of the 'free' upgrades from OEM's on XP to Vista and Vista to Seven (and even a couple of Vista Business to XP Pro downgrades)
    All of those up/down grades involved entering the COA keys on the PC involved. And none of those keys ever activated the PC's again, only the upgrade keys worked. So looking at it that way, any COA keys you enter as part of the Windows 10 upgrade probably won't work anymore, meaning you can't go back to your old OS.

Having said that, MS isn't going to rewrite the BIOS/UEFI on these PC's, so a OEM Key and Cert should still activate most Windows 7 PC's as they do now.

The question is will MS deactivate the Windows 8.x keys it reads from the UEFI's during the update. :confused:

9. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    #9 FaiKee, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    You are getting a unhappy @Daz to read your post, he always insisted that MS wouldn't and couldn't ask people to submit COA's. :D

btw, AFAIK, MS wouldn't touch user's BIOS, there is a risk of bricking the device, but I don't know if they would de-activate the key in their activation server.

10. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    is really a two way street;)

11. John Sutherland

Oct 15, 2014
    All right. Thank you to everyone who responded. I had already planned to create a backup image of my Windows 8.1 installation prior to performing the upgrade, I was only concerned that if I ever restored the backup image I would find my Win 8.1 activation was no longer valid. Thanks again.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I've been wondering how MS would see a Win7 system activated by slic/key/cert with modded bios as legit or not.
    If it's a modern UEFI pc then the only time there should be a valid slic is if there was also a valid 8/8.1 Pro key also injected into the bios. That way you've got downgrade rights from 8 to 7...

13. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    W7 BIOS mods will activate just fine, there just isn't any way for Microsoft to differ between legit and non-legit, if they had they would have already done so on W7 years ago.

14. imgwhirl

imgwhirl MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2014
    i beg to differ.
    Can M$ Detect BIOS Mods?

15. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    LOL, I'm not going to argue with Daz, his forgotten more about this stuff than I'll ever know. ;)

Maybe it was the OEM that I sent it too :confused:
    All I know is I had to send to the CD Key and the Serial No. off the COA sticker to get the Upgrade Disks. And those CD Keys never activated anything again.

I think Shenj is right, even if MS could detect a good SLIC from a Modded one. Would it be worth the trouble and risk the of 'bricking' devices to do something about it. :confused:

16. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Wow, that's an old post. ;)
    Its also one of the reasons why some of us were bugging the BIOS modders to use the correct SLIC's for the BIOS and Mobo combos. And were telling people to use the correct Keys for their PC maker. It would stop MS from detecting the mod, but it would make it a lot harder for them.

17. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  18. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    so now the insiders get it free? lol So funny how they keep spitting s**t out instead of swallowing. They really need to push the market share to Win7 and XP highs in this version lol

Im tired of reading and trying to comprehend their babble. Ill wait till its released and see for myself. *shuts door on MS releases*

lol

19. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I've seen MSI boards in HP, Intel & Dell. What about Foxconn? Don't even have their own slic...

20. John Sutherland

Oct 15, 2014