Upgrading to Windows 8 Media Center, can we install it OFFLINE (without internet) ?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by m28ew, Nov 20, 2012.

1. m28ew

m28ew MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2012
    #1 m28ew, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Hi all MDL members,

Since my internet connection sucks,
    the online upgrading my Win8 Pro to the Win8 Pro-WMC will take too long

and of course,
    there is no percentage indicator as a sign if the process is still running or freezing :confused:

Code:
    i.imgur.com/umobz.png
    ps: sorry, I can't show the picture directly

FYI, usually the above process can take more than 1 hour :aerobueke:
    and then the restarting will also take a long time too
    so all upgrading process can take 1½ - 2 hours :flag:

My silly question,

is there any independent files which can be downloaded separately?
    so we can upgrade our Win8 Pro to Pro WMC by running the offline installation

It's like how we do the offline upgrade for the Win7-SP1 (by downloading & installing the KB976932)

Thanks

2. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Hello,

You can use Windows Download Integrator to convert you W8 Pro to W8 PRO WMC.:)

3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. roylion15

roylion15 MDL Member

May 1, 2009
    Hello ,
    There is nothing to download for upgrading an installed pro to proWMC ...
    No internet connection needed, just insert the WMC key in add features menu, WMC is already included in pro version, just it's an hidden feature that need the upgrade wmc key to unlock it . you can upgrade with a free legit key from MS.

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If that is true, why every time I added the WMC Windows started to download from Internet? That were 5 times happen the 5 times I added that feature!

7. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    It is true that you can upgrade from Pro to ProWMC without an Internet connection. You can try it yourself: disconnect your Internet, enter the upgrade key, and in a few minutes it will be done. Tried and tested multiple times.

It is also true that if you do have a live Internet connection when you do the upgrade, then it will try to connect to something and download something, which might take a long time.

At this point I think noone knows what exactly it downloads and why, even though it's not necessary.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Will try that with the next WMC I've to install! Installation with Internet connection takes about 7min on 50Mbps connection! The last I installed, it also stopped the the download for the Windows 8 Updates (12 Updates) till the install of WMC were finish.

9. roylion15

roylion15 MDL Member

May 1, 2009
    #9 roylion15, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
    You can install just pro and activate it online ( kms or legit retail key )
    After that disconnect the internet , apply legit WMC key offine, wait a few minutes the end of the upgrade ...
    Then reconnect the internet , Windows activate immediately online , after that install all the kb's from Windows update ...

if your connection sucks,:biggrin: I suggest you to create a WMC iso from the pro version and integrate already all the ms updates for further installations.