Upgrading Windows 7 build 7100 to 7601

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by palbertsma, Jul 29, 2012.

1. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    #1 palbertsma, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2012
    I have a very old laptop, made for Windows 98. I put a Beta version of Windows 7 on it (I think it's 7600 beta): now it runs like new! I don't put anything new on it: software not drivers, and it works flawlessly!:3eyes:

I also noticed that the stop of Windows Updates doesn't necessarily mean that it's the end of the story: as long as you keep the antivirus updated, it is sufficient, at least enough for an old laptop with only 256 MB!

2. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Perhaps it works so well because 7600 is actually RTM? :p

Even if that were true, no AV company is going to support a prerelease OS for their products.

3. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    I just verified the version on the old laptop: it's build 7100! So it's far before 7600 RTM! :D

It has a patched winsetup.dll: that's why it can run at 256 MB.

I don't need any support of an AV company: as long as they supply updates - and they actually do - and they "fit" on the old build - they just do in case of my Windows 7100 build - it will do: it is just fine with me!:biggrin:

4. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    I verified by the the "winver" executable, and it really says: 7100! The year is 2009.

It also says: "Evaluation Copy. Expires 2-3-2010 1:59".

With these details you probably are able to track it down!:biggrin:

5. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #5 Daz, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Indeed, install 7601...
    Beta does only mean there are more bugs in it and it's unsupported. If I remember correctly, 7100 even corrupted mp3 tags.
    Beta != lighter, does not use less resources or anything like that. You only have a timebomb which is annoying. RTM can be activated with 1 click, and for win8 there will be solutions enough once the RTM code is signed off.

The car you buy is a finished product, not a prototype. You don't use prototypes of fridges, microwave ovens or anything else either if a better version is available for the same price (unofficially though), so why would you do it with an OS. Ok if you are interested in testing and the good old beta feeling, but for daily use you'd get something finished.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Thank you, DAZ!

The only problem would be where to found a CD-version of build 7601, as my old Satellite Pro 4200 only has a CD-player. It does have one USB-1.0-connection, so installing by USB-drive is not an option. Even worse: the BIOS can't load from a pen drive anyway!:(

Nevertheless: great job that you issued the patched winsetup.dll for the 7601 just in case!:bounce4:

8. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    I see the point! But what about the non-aero issue? Do you think aero will be somehow enabled by some patch? That would be great!:rolleyes:

9. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #9 Daz, Jul 29, 2012
  10. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Super, DAZ!:clapping:

Great that you're so willing to help, and also really help out in this situation!:clap:

I appreciate much!

Now I'm downloading and then I am able to put the files, after adapting them - as you explained - on a pen drive, to copy them onto the laptop, as I think that upgrading from the pen drive itself through a USB-1.0-connection will be too slow: is that correct?

Again: fantastic for helping me out!

11. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    #11 Stannieman, Jul 29, 2012
  12. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    I installed the 7100-version by cd-drive. But my external DVD-writer just passed...:( So I can't burn the adapted files to a CD anymore. For that reason I have to get around it by doing it the way I described above.

The only thing I doubt is that I think it's better to copy all files to the laptop and upgrade from the laptop itself in stead of upgrading from the pen drive, because of the reason you mentioned: the very slow "speed"!

13. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I'm pretty sure that you can install Windows 7 direct from the hard drive just by launching setup.exe :)

14. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Thank you for your good suggestion!:)

The only thing is, that I can't burn any more, so the only way is by pen drive.

But great that you pointed me on the Plop Boot Manager site: I didn't know of this, and once I have a working DVD-writer I will give it a try.

If I am correct, this manager overcomes the hardware restrictions of non able to boot from USB! That IS good news!:3eyes:

Again: thank you very much!

15. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    I suggested a "clean" clean install, but maybe it's better if you do install from the harddrive afterall. It'll need more than half a day for copying the files alone I think.
    So unless you don't mind that, Daz's method is better cause it's way faster.

16. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Yes, I will do that. And I think that it will be faster than launching setup from the pen drive.

Thanks for your help!:flowers:

17. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Unfortunately there is a problem with upgrading; it says:

The unattended answer file contains an invalid product key...

So it's not possible to upgrade!:mad:

Here it's time to sleep (1 o'clock in the morning!), but tomorrow I will continue to try to find a solution...:waycon1:

18. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #18 Daz, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
    And that's with the ISO I linked to with nothing special done to it, or have you tried to shrink it?

You could access device manager and disable your floppy drive. That's said to work for Parallels. If, however, that doesn't work then look for a autounattend.xml file and remove anything that looks like a product key line.

19. palbertsma

palbertsma MDL Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Hi Daz,

It's your linked ISO I used: I just made the customization you advised me to do; nothing else.

Your ISO doesn't contain an autounattend.xml file; it DOES have a file in sources called product.ini, that contains all kinds of product keys, linked to the different Win-versions. The last section looks like this:

[BuildInfo]
    staged=STARTER,HOMEBASIC,HOMEPREMIUM,PROFESSIONAL,ULTIMATE

Is it well to remove this file? I'll won't remove it without your advise.

Hope this is enough for you to help find a solution.

Again: thanks for helping me!:cool:

20. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Leave it there, it are the default grace/trial keys. I don't know if it's really required but this file shouldn't cause the kind of problem you have.