Upgrading Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by vze2mp9g, Mar 17, 2015.

1. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Hello,
    I have my mother's Toshiba Satellite L50t-A, Part No: PSKLJU, which has Windows 8.1 Core on it. I would like to install Windows 8.1 Pro WMP. When I insert the Win 8.1 Pro WMP, and run the setup on the disk, nothing happens. I don't want to erase any drivers or settings. Can anyone describe to me on how to upgrade with my Win 8.1 Pro WMP? I would really appreciate it very much.
    Thank You.

:worthy:

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    AFAIK you couldn't! The installed 8.1 and the Product Key, which is located in the BIOS of the machine, are bound together. If you want to update to the Pro version, you'll need to do an new installation which also need an new Product Key for an Pro version. You may could use for the install the Generic Installation Product Key and change that later on to the real one for activation or you use an Pro-VL version and use MTK2.5.2 for activation. Both of that install need to be an new installation, you could not update to it, AFAIK.

If you concern is about the Driver, you could use an 3.party apps for to save all used drivers in the now used Windows Core version to an external storage like an USB Stick etc.! About Settings, you'll lose them while install the pro and the same goes for the installed applications.

If you didn't delete that hidden partition which contains the OS Recovery files, you will be able to go back to the initial Core version, still all 3.party Apps, Data and updates will be gone. If you recover to the initial Core, the state of the Machine will be the same as on the day it were bought.

To summarize:
    • Upgrade to Pro WMC is impossible
    • Driver, Settings, Apps and data will be lost by using to install Pro WMC if not backed up beforehand
    • If the Pro Version will be installed a new Product Key is needed for activation because the embedded P-Key could not be used for other's than a Core version
    • If the Pro-VL version will be used, activation is possible with MTK2.5.2 which will need an generic P-Key for installation

For everything about Computers and Software, there're Pros' and Con's which need to be checked by the user for to get the right things for him/her.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  4. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Okay, I can do this. I just need to know what 3rd party app to use to maintain all my drivers for my Toshiba Satellite L50t-A. I do have the Pro-VL version and MTK2.5.3.

Do I need to do a clean install or update and change the product key at a latter time then activate it.
    Thank you for all the options.
    Thanks. :worthy:

:clap:

5. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    You can either install (clean install recommended) Windows 8.1 WMC or Pro VL, any one you like the most.
    I recommend to download only original and appropriate drivers from Toshiba website. Don't recommend to backup existing drivers (for many reasons this is bad).

6. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    What I did was I contacted Toshiba, and I was able to get a bootable 16GB USB Flash Drive for my model computer, so I have it exactly like the first day I received it. This is why I would like to backup my drivers which Toshiba makes. I dislike doing a clean install because I was unable to obtain all the correct drivers because I didn't know what drivers I needed, plus I just want to have it just right, with everything working for my mother. It's her notebook.
    Thank You.

:cool:

7. boesdad

boesdad MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2015
    Thank you for the link Super Mod / Advisor. It was very helpful.

8. lyonlacrosse

lyonlacrosse MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2015