upgrading

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by fargo, May 16, 2014.

1. fargo

fargo MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2010
    I am running windows 7 home premium sp1 using chew 7 v 1.1, if I want to upgrade to win. pro do I have to
    uninstall chew 7 first ? If so would that keep me from upgrading to pro ? thanks

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. fargo

fargo MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2010

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    you should be able too, if anything it would error and you would need to use watfix -> upgrade -> run chew again after. Backup an image of the system and give it a go. if it fails you got your backup. Thats what I would do anyway.

Honestly though, you should run watfix and use the loader, loader uses no memory its not running in windows and all updates work fine without any problems. Safer, cleaner way to go. Chew is exactly that, chewing on the system lol, but your choice :D

5. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Chew7 was a hacktivator designed for build 7600 of Windows 7, so you're kind of butchering your system files even if it appears to "work". If you were using a BIOS mod or Windows Loader then you could simply enter the a Windows 7 Pro OEM SLP key and it'd upgrade you easily. And an extra plus is that unlike Chew7 neither a BIOS mod or Windows Loader would have any extra processes using your CPU or memory.

Hacktivation is unsupported and discouraged at MDL because there are cleaner solutions. Modding system files in an attempt to activate just makes it harder for us diagnose problems. Proof of that can be found within the Windows Loader's support thread as that's 1841 pages long and 95% of it is due hacktivation cleanup instructions. It's also why WAT Fix exists.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. fargo

fargo MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2010
    just thought I'd say I took your advise and used watfix to clean out chew 7 and use windows loader by the amazing
    mr. daz !...........fargo