Upload limit in uTorrent

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Matrix Leader, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    What must my minimum upload limit be in uTorrent in order for me to download at uncapped speeds? I know there is a threshold that you should not fall below to get full speed downloads.

I am asking as I have a limited upload speed of 256 kbps :( / 8 mbps download

Sorry but I use uTorrent for non warez purposes hope my question is not against the forum rules. If it is, please delete this thread

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Michelle68

Michelle68 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    I think a lot is not under your control reguarding speed.

I got the guide below off a site a while ago who's name escapes me now.

Some of the settings mentioned below are optimized for 256k connection. If you want to calculate the optimal settings for your connection, check at the end of this tutorial. But I suggest you to read the entire tutorial for guidance on other settings.
    First go to Options>Preferences>Network
    1. Under ‘Port used for incomming connections’, enter any port number. It is best to use a port number above 10000. I use 45682.
    2. Randomize port each time utorrent starts: UNCHECKED. I leave this unchecked because I have a router. If you do not have a router or a firewall, and want extra security,check this option.
    3. Enable UPnP port mapping (Windows Xp or later only): UNCHECKED. I leave this unchecked because I have experienced it slowing down speeds. It is not needed if you manually port forward.
    4. Add utorrent to Windows Firewall exceptions (Windows XP SP2 or later only): UNCHECKED (do this only if you have windows firewall disabled)
    5. Global Maximum upload rate (kb/s): [0: unlimited]: 22 (for 256k connection)
    6. Protocol Encryption: ENABLED. I would recommend everyone to enable this. This can help increase speeds with many ISPs.
    7. Allow incoming Legacy Connections: CHECKED

Options>Preferences>Torrents
    1. Global Maximum Number of Connections: 130 (for 256k connection)This number should not be set too low or the number of connections made to your torrents will be limited. Setting it too high may cause too much bandwidth to be used and can cause slowdowns.
    2. Maximum Number of connected peers per torrent: 70 (for 256k connection)If you see that the peers connected to a specific torrent are exactly this number, or very close, increase this number to improve speeds.
    3. Number of upload slots per torrent: 3 (for 256k connection)This depends on how much you want to upload to other users. Do not set too low or it may affect download speeds.
    4. Use additional upload slots if upload speed <90%: CHECKED
    5. Maximum number of active torrents: 2 (for 256k connection)
    6. Maximum number of active downloads: 1 (for 256k connection)
    7. Enable DHT Network: CHECKEDThis is recommended to be checked to improve speeds. More people will be available for sharing if this is checked.
    8. Enable DHT for new torrents: CHECKED
    9. Enable Peer Exchange: CHECKED
    10. Enable scrapping: CHECKED
    11. Pre-allocate all files: CHECKED
    12. Append .!ut to incomplete files: UNCHECKED

Options>Preferences>Advanced
    net.max_halfopen: 50
    If you use Windows XP SP2, patch tcpip.sys with LvlLord’s Event ID 4226 Patcher to get better performance.
    DO NOT CHANGE THIS OPTION unless you have Windows XP SP2 and have patched tcpip.sys.
    You can also patch tcpip.sys with xp-Antispy
    If you have a firewall
    • Open up the options/preferences/settings for the firewall – usually your firewall will have an icon to click in the taskbar
    • Look for the keywords “allow list” or “programs”
    • Add the application you want to give access to the internet
    • Make sure to save your settings when you are done
    If you have a router
    1. Go to start>run>type cmd, press enter>type ipconfig, press enter
    2. Remember both your ip address and your default gateway
    3. Type in your default gateway into your default browser, a password prompt may come up. The default username and password are admin for my router
    4. Under ‘Applications’ fill out one line for each p2p client you use
    5. You need to use your ip address, the correct port range and set either tcp or udp
    6. You can find and change the ports in the actual p2p client’s settings, just make sure they are the same in the router
    7. Most p2p apps need both tcp and udp checked, if you are not sure check your p2p client’s FAQ
    8. Save your settings
    Check PortForward.com to forward ports for uTorrent.
    Some of the settings I mentioned above are relative to my bandwidth.
    How to calculate optimal settings for your connection
    In order to apply the following tips you need to know your maximum upload and download speeds. You can test your bandwidth over here.
    Maximum upload speed
    If you use your Maximum upload speed, there won’t be not enough space left for the files you are downloading. So you have to cap your upload speed.
    This is how I calculate my optimal upload speed…
    upload speed * 80%
    Maximum download speed
    Setting your maximum download speed to unlimited will hurt your connection. So use this to calculate your optimal setting.
    download speed * 90%
    Maximum connected peers per torrent
    upload speed * 1.3
    Maximum upload slots
    1 + (upload speed / 6)
    Disable Windows Firewall
    Windows Firewall hates P2P and so disable it and get yourself a decent firewall like Zone Alarm.
    And last optimize your Internet connection with TCP Optimizer.

MDL TCP Optimizer Forum Thread:
    http://forums.mydigitallife.net/thr...t-TCP-Optimizer-3.0.2?highlight=TCP+Optimizer

3. Bosh

Bosh MDL Developer

May 30, 2010
    Select the predefined settings for a connection that has 256KB upload and use those settings together with your settings for download at 8MB, that's how I setup my connection in utorrent and it has worked very very well :)

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Have you actually looked at your router settings some times max upload is controled by ISP. i know mines is

5. thethingy

thethingy MDL Senior Member

Sep 7, 2010
    I believe you'll get full speeds any way if the torrent is well seeded, just click the little green orb on the bottom middle of the bottom bar of u-torrent and let it set your connection automatically.

6. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    Thanks for the replies guys. The reason I am asking is, I notice if set my upload speed to 6 kb/s, my download speed never exceeds 800 kb/s. But if I set it to 16 kb/s then I get a full download speed of 990 kb/s provided there were good seeds.......strange heh?

So I am assuming there is some sort of limitation where uTorrent won't allow you to enjoy full speed downloads if you are not sharing enough as well.....don't you think?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. dabits

dabits Guest

My contribution, I found this info here and there and it works for me :cool:

- Don't set your UL over 80% of your max. UL, or your DL will drop.
    - Try to set it as high as possible tho ...
    - The more you give, the more you get.
    - µTorrent likes it when you share, if you UL to someone, you get more from this someone ... check it out, often the best speed is from someone that you're sharing with.

:D

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  9. sdvdlier

sdvdlier MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2013
    #9 sdvdlier, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
    sorry, to dig up an ancient thread, but utorrent's not respecting the upload limit is bugging me; and they banned me over at forum.utorrent.com because this mod couldnt understand what i was asking; first they closed my original thread; stating, just update to the latest version and shut up, we dont want you telling people utorrent is a bloated horrible piece of shhh...oftware; as an answer;
    ok, but that latest 3.3.1 is still not working like it should; so i asked my question again, i posted in 2 relevant threads, after which they banned me.
    maybe here, a nice and intelligent person can help me out.
    The last utorrent version that adhered to the upload limit you set up in the settings (or in the torrent info) was 3.1 i think, but i updated to the latest one; and this one isnt working; my question is

what is the most recent stable utorrent build that keeps to the upload limit?

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I use MediaGet2 and have no problem with that.

Keep in mind that some Torrent sites (mainly private and/or those which requires registration)are controlling the Uploads of user's, not the speed instead the seeding compare to the leeching.

11. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I have been using 3.3.1 without any issues, I am not sure what build it WAS since I just opened to look and it updated to 3.3.2 Beta (Build 29944). So Ill keep a check on this build and let you know by editing this post.