usb 3.0 pendrive on usb 2.0 port speed test?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by lovestudio, Jun 24, 2016.

1. lovestudio

lovestudio MDL Member

Mar 24, 2014
    can anyone make a speed test with usb 3.0 pendrive on usb 2.0 port on 1 gb video file and the same test usb 3 on usb 3 port and put the result here, cos no site tells it and youtube also none...

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It won't help you because it will be different for any system/tester.

3. lovestudio

lovestudio MDL Member

Mar 24, 2014
    why different, i need just to see difference, if it worth to use usb 3 drives on usb 2.0 ports, i.e. id it is worth to buy usb 3.0 external drives or not.

4. Dngrsone

Dngrsone MDL Novice

May 25, 2016
    USB 3 drives are going to work faster when plugged into USB 3 ports. In my experience, easily twice as fast. An USB 3 drive operating out of an USB 2 port can move only data as fast as the port will allow; so it will be slower than its USB 3 equivalent. Whether an USB 3 drive can move data faster through a particular port than an USB 2 drive will likely depend more on the quality of each of the drives.

If you wish to perform the test yourself, then by all means let us know what you find out.

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Addicted

Oct 18, 2014
    Even if You paid "Top Dollar" for the fastest USB drives in their class, they'll Never transfer data anywhere close to the theoretical limits. In most cases a USB3 drive is going to have faster read/write speeds than a USB2 drive has. Some models actually post the speeds. Given that, is there a Substantial difference in price that would make You want to go with a USB2 drive instead of USB3 drive :confused: I haven't noticed that where I live. Plus You don't have any plans of upgrading your PC or possibly using the drive on another PC with USB3 ports :confused:

7. lovestudio

lovestudio MDL Member

Mar 24, 2014
    no guys, why you waste yout time to talk over, do you think, i have not seen youtube tests as the simplest thing for anyone.? of course i do not have hard drive of usb 3 connection, so that is why i ask, as i do not plan to upgrade laptop to usb 3 ports. so i need to see the speed test of usb 3 on usb 2 port. 30 seconds of job, anyone doesn`t have usb 3.0 external drive?:31:

8. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Addicted

Oct 18, 2014
  9. lovestudio

lovestudio MDL Member

Mar 24, 2014
    so 1 photo is with ssd, second with hdd? both on usb 2.0 port? while I asked one on usb 2.0 and 1 on usb 3.0. let me know, sorry.

10. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Here's a thought: How about you go to a retail store and test it yourself on a live computer?

You can bring your own files and you can also ask a sales rep for help.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Addicted

Oct 18, 2014
    No the pic on the top was using a USB3 port and the one on the bottom was using a USB2 port, :eek: just noticed that I put that backwards for the way it was asked for :eek:

So using My components I was able to write to the USB3 drive at almost twice the speed using the USB3 port versus the USB2 port. Writing from the USB drive to the PC *(Pics Not Posted) the speed was basically the same.

Now will it make a difference using a PC that only has USB2 Ports :confused: WHY would You even ask that question if You don't have any USB3 ports o_O I'm Confused :confused:

12. Dngrsone

Dngrsone MDL Novice

May 25, 2016
    His equipment only has USB2 ports. The OP wants to know if he will gain any advantage by buying an USB3 flash drive. Personally, I doubt it, though some devices are better than others and the quality of the USB3 device purchased may exceed the quality of the USB2 devices already owned or might be purchased if he decides not to get a USB3 device... you see where I am going.

I have mostly USB2 drives, but all USB3 ports on my laptop, so I can't do that experiment. A USB3 drive does move data twice as fast as a USB2 drive (when plugged into an USB3 port, natch), though, in my experience.

13. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    #13 Michaela Joy, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    @Dngrsone: It's a no-brainer. USB 3 is backward compatible with USB 2, so, there'll be no problem using it.

Will the OP notice any difference on his machine? Probably not, unless you want to count a possible placebo effect from having the faster pen-drive.

Is there a big price difference between the two pen-drives?

Yes? Then buy the USB 2 drive and splurge when you have the money.

No? Then splurge and get the USB3 drive.

Easy Peasy. :)

No muss...no fuss.

14. lovestudio

lovestudio MDL Member

Mar 24, 2014
    thanks to everyone, though not needed to waste your time, if you know how to make scrrenshots, you could do it in 2 minutes.
    I already have of course large and little usb 2. drives and flashes. so i asked, if i need to buy a new one, what should i choose usb 2.0 o 3 drive. that`s all.

by the way, using micros sd card inside usb 2.0 memory reader, i get quite low speed. from 8.50-10.80 MB/S. but you use ssd, so it is normal for my 2.5 hdd drive.

Also, by the way, anyone has ssd in partition style? if yes, are the speeds from 1partition to copy to another of the same ssd, slow down drastically?