USB 3 Motherboard Ports Dead?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by horrormaster, Jan 16, 2019.

1. horrormaster

horrormaster MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2015
    Not sure if my USB 3 ports on my motherboard are dead or what, although it seems like they might be. I have an external USB 3 HDD that I keep connected to my PC. Sometime while I was asleep it no longer showed up on my PC. I've tried everything I can think of.

I've restarted Windows 10 RS5, tried all 4 USB 3.0 ports, tried my other 2 external HDDs & Flash drive, checked Device Manager (nothing shows up), checked Devices in Settings (nothing shows up), and even booted into gParted Live CD to see if it was just Windows and still nothing shows up. All the drives work as they connect just fine using my USB 2 ports. What's odd is that the drives when plugged into the USB 3 ports kick on & the enclosure light goes on.

Worst case scenario if they're dead is I spend the 25-35$ and just get a PCI-E card, so not that horrible.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    On what power-scheme are you?

3. horrormaster

horrormaster MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2015
    High Performance and have the "USB Selective Suspend" setting Disabled

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    And did you go thru all the bios settings regarding powersaving and usb controls?

5. horrormaster

horrormaster MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2015
    Yep, checked all that as well. USB 3 is enabled, XHCI is Enabled, powersaving stuff is off, etc. Was working fine last night before I went to sleep and I didn't change anything when I woke up as I noticed right away my drive wasn't being detected.

6. digiquandry

digiquandry MDL Member

Sep 13, 2015
    Try re-installing USB 3.0 drivers. (And a good defrag if it's a mechanical drive). Hopefully it's as simple as your drivers got corrupted. Good wishes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #7 Muerto, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021