USB 3/XHCI driver stack for Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by daniel_k, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Doskungen

Doskungen MDL Junior Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Valid question!
    The reason why would be to perhaps get my two external external harddrive enclosures which I have connected up to the Thunderbolt ports (using USB-C type plug) to not randomly shut down when I restart the computer. I suspect it has something to do with the drivers. I can just restart them manually by turning them on again of course, but it's kind of annoying. Also IF I can get UASP support under Windows 7 that'd make me very very happy. I thought I would have to install either Windows 8.1 or 10 for that feature to be available.

Kindest regards.

2. Doskungen, I had similar problem, but I solved it by disabling selective suspend:

other_usb_selective_suspend_6.JPG

3. foxyrick

foxyrick MDL Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Confirming that this driver works on an HP 800 G2 Mini, and enables UASP for my external drive. Woohoo!

4. jhws

jhws MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2020
    UASP support on Win7 is great news but how do I install the downloaded UASPSTOR driver as my Win7 with Etron USB3 does not seem to have install.wim nor winre.wim?

5. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    By starting with a clean, untouched windows 7 image.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. blkthorne

blkthorne MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2020
    If one installs a USB 3 driver specific to their hardware, provided by the manufacturer, does this generic driver need to be removed beforehand?

7. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    No.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. jhws

jhws MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2020
    OK. So I downloaded a clean ISO image of Win7 SP1 Home Premium, and then ran the following:
    1) cd SiMPLiX_AiO_ISO_Full_Tool_2_2_20.8.13\EXE
    2) UpdatePack7R2-20.8.13.exe /WimFile=C:\Win7SP1\sources\install.wim /Index=2

If I use WinToUSB to make a bootable Win7 from the updated Win7 ISO of the above, would the USB-booted Win7 now support UASP? Or is there anything else I need to do?

9. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    @jhws Afaik, if there's no other hardware/software limitations, it should work.

10. Doskungen

Dec 4, 2011
    #70 Doskungen, Sep 12, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    Thank you very much for this suggestion! I will take a look at trying it out right away!

Update: I went into the Power Settings and selective suspend was already disabled so unfortunately it seems it was not the problem in my case.

11. Doskungen

Dec 4, 2011
    #71 Doskungen, Sep 12, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    @daniel_k

I managed to install the USB stack and the harddrives that are connected to the USB ports and support it show up as UASP under SCSI devices now.

However the two USB 3.0 harddrive enclosures that are connected to the Thunderbolt ports on the back of my computer do NOT show up as UASP devices despite the enclosures from Icybox stating full UASP support. I am suspecting that it is because they are hooked up to the Thunderbolt/USB-C ports (USB 3.1?).

Is there a way to fix this to have them seen as UASP devices as well being able to enjoy the theoretically higher transfer rates??

12. CEW

CEW MDL Senior Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Dism++ might be able to uninstall them

13. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Its kind of amazing what it can remove. I am a big fan of that tool.

14. Doskungen

Dec 4, 2011
  15. jyjs3993

jyjs3993 MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2018
  16. Doskungen

Dec 4, 2011
    This may be a bit late, but i successfully installed the Generic USB Stack including UASP support by extracting the files to a directory and then manually updating the driver for my USB controller/controllers in Device Manager. You can also leave the installation of the previos driver in place in case you need to revert back to using it again.

//DK

17. Doskungen

Dec 4, 2011
    I contacted customer support for the external enclosures I'm using and it turns out it had to do with the SYNC button on the front of the enclosures. I had never touched it before as it used to have to do with a backup feature of another enclosure I used to own from the same brand, but it turned out SYNC indicator showing blue meant it turns off when the PC is turned off (or rebooted), amber/yellow meant it turns on with PC powering up, and turns off on shutdown or reboot. I had mine set to "blue". Pushing the button 3x times did the trick. No light on and it stays on between reboots. :)

//DK

18. Doskungen

Dec 4, 2011
    你为什么要说谢谢

19. jhws

jhws MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2020
    I tried something similar but it didn't work. Could you please provide a step-by-step procedure as how you did it? Thanks.