USB 3/XHCI driver stack for Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by daniel_k, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Doskungen

Doskungen MDL Junior Member

Dec 4, 2011
    I'll give generalized step by step instructions since I am using Windows 7 Swedish version but it should be easy enough.

You follow these instructions at your own risk. This is what worked for me.

1) Extract the whole archive with the Generic USB Stack drivers to a directory C:\USBDriver for example.
    2) Go into Device Manager and open up the Universal Serial Bus Controllers branch in the device tree.
    3) Look here and locate the device entries that says "Intel/Renesas/Etron etc USB Host Controller" depending on what you have.
    4) Right click on it and choose "Update Driver"
    5) Here choose the second option "Choose driver software already on the computer"
    6) Here enter the path to the drivers you extracted C:\USBDriver in this example.
    7) Make sure that "Include Subdirectories" option is checked and click Next.

From here it should find the Generic USB driver/UASP driver and install it for the controller you choose.
    Allow it to install the driver when asked.

If you have more than one Host controller you may have to repeat this procedure for them as well.
    It should prompt you to restart the computer after installing the drivers which you should allow.

The old drivers should still be on the computer and you should be able to roll back to them if you wish.
    I have been using these drivers now for about a week with no issues. I would also advise you to keep the drivers at
    hand if you would happen to need them at some point.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

2. jhws

jhws MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2020
    Thanks. I followed the procedure but neither my NVMe SSD based USB3 nor external HDD with USB3 was recognized after Win7 reboot. The "USB Attached SCSI Mass Storage Device" became present in Device Manager after either of the USB3's was inserted but the USB3 itself was not recognized.

During back-out, the driver's Roll-back option was grayed out because the previous "Etron USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller" was no longer available after it was updated to "USB Attached SCSI Mass Storage Device" via manual install and the latter had the roll-back option grayed out. So I had to roll back via a different route - using a previously-saved Windows Image Backup...

3. Doskungen

Dec 4, 2011
    I'm very sorry to hear that it caused you so much trouble. When I installed the Generic USB driver and restarted it detected the SCSI Mass Storage Device, and then proceeded to install the UASP driver, after which the USB harddrives showed up and were useable. In my experience it does this once for every new UASP compatible drive you plug into the computer. It is for times like this that I always keep all my drivers available if the operating system is trying to get to the driver files for installation.

In the case of your attempt to rollback to the Etron USB 3.0 driver failing I would have first uninstalled the Generic USB 3.0 driver as well as the UASP driver if that shows up separately, and then installed the Etron USB 3.0 driver from scratch to revert back to that. This of course means you have to have the driver installer or loose driver files to point to. Glad to hear despite everything that you were able to get back to normal using an image backup.

Kindest regards.

4. Wong Ting Lun

Wong Ting Lun MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2020
    Why the device name is show Simplified Chinese in Traditional Chinese System device manager?

5. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    This will NOT work on older Android verions....

6. asdf23451

asdf23451 MDL Member

Feb 10, 2019
    What?

7. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    "What?" = This will NOT work on older Android verions.... I installed them... Win Desktop will not connect, after System restore, it connected again.

8. Doskungen

Dec 4, 2011
    I have used Samsung Android phones from version 4.4.2 to 6.0.1 under these USB drivers and both of those now older versions worked fine. It could be that you needed to re-install the USB drivers needed for your Android device for it to work under the new USB driver stack. This happened with some external harddrives that I connected after installing the driver stack. In any case I am happy to hear you got everything back to working order for yourself by using system restore.

9. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Yes, I was happy too, its an ASUS with 5.1
    Thanks anyway....

10. Doskungen

Dec 4, 2011
    I'm not sure I understand. You're using an ASUS phone with Android 5.1?
    How about trying to reinstall the official drivers for the phone from ASUS after you install the USB Driver Stack?
    Maybe that'll work for you?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

11. tweekr1

tweekr1 MDL Novice

May 10, 2015
    Has anyone successfully used this driver to run windows 7 on a Z490 motherboard? If so could you share the motherboard vendor and your installation procedure.
    Thanks!

12. Nikbawker

Nikbawker MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2020
    #92 Nikbawker, Nov 26, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Edit; Derp, works on Asrock 970m Pro3 just fine, 2015 Vista capable board that runs fx series processors pretty well but not max overclocks. Used Doskungens Device Manager suggestion didn't even think of that, fixed the issue without restarting even while I was in the middle of copying files off of a usb.

13. rwayboy

rwayboy MDL Novice

May 17, 2017
    #93 rwayboy, Dec 6, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    I have 2 Windows 7 Images that were both downloaded directly from Microsoft. One is x86 and the other x64. I integrated KB2864202 and the custom driver on both of them but for some when I boot from the x86 image, my mouse and keyboard still won't work. The x64 image is fine and I can use my mouse and keyboard (I am booting both images in Legacy mode). What could be the issue?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. I was integrating both x32 bit and x64 bit drivers on the x32 image instead of integrating only the x32 bit ones.

14. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    A few generations ago, USB2 has been phased out and the functionality was emulated by the USB3.x controller of the platform. This is why windows 7 doesn't work with the "USB2" ports on modern platforms - because they are handled by the same USB3.x controller you don't have the drivers for. As long as you integrate the drivers necessary, windows 7 will work.
    How well it works with given hardware is a different matter.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. ryegrass

ryegrass MDL Junior Member

Oct 9, 2019
    Thanks daniel_k, Mov AX, 0xDEAD, canonkong

I am testing these on my MSI X570 Gaming Plus and so far they have been working fine. Would there be any problem with my posting the link to the drivers on another forum, or would you rather I post a link to this thread?

Thanks.

16. paszczak

paszczak MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2014
    Where can I find this driver unmodified with only microsoft signature?

17. esergeevich67

esergeevich67 MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2020
    Can't begin to install Windows 7 x64 from flash disk to GA-B460M-D3H (USB can't found). Read notes, KB2864202 and USB drivers was integrated with DISM command lines. What's wrong?

18. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    Notes from first post

- Original files x64: (KB2984005 or KB4534320) and KB2984005.
    - Original files x86: KB4534320 and KB2984005.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. adric

adric MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2009
    #100 adric, Jan 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Is the kb2864202 prereq in the OP superseded by one of the latest rollups? It won't install and says not applicable. The files from the KB are already on my system, but the KB is not listed in the dism packages list so I assume it's in the current rollup correct?