USB adapter keeping the computer from turning on

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by lifehags, Jun 4, 2014.

1. lifehags

lifehags MDL Member

Feb 26, 2014
    So I got this adapter so I could use a 4pole headset. And whenever I have it plugged into my USB hub on my desktop computer. When it is plugged in it sometimes stops my computer from turning on! And when I unplug it it turns the computer on. Is there a way so that when I press the power button it turns on instead of having to unplug the adapter?
    Thanks!

2. M0rriss0n

M0rriss0n MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Had this once with an usb external hdd, in BIOS the option "boot from other device" was enabled.
    Disabling resolved this and could boot with hdd attached.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Have you got it plugged into a USB3 (Blue) port? Perhaps try it in a USB2 port (Black).
    I see a lot of dongles on notebooks that don't always work on USB3 but work on USB2.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. White Tiger

White Tiger MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2009
    Had the same thing with USB devices in the past.
    I had to unplug them to enable the computer to boot up.
    Found out later on that it was a power issue.
    Some hardware might be draining your power or the power supply might be to light.

5. pavel9843

pavel9843 MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2012
    Try to disable USB function in BIOS, different profile if is possible, some pc's has this function.

6. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    just a thought, set a boot delay of 5 seconds or more in bios, see what happens with that.