USB Boot?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by RASelkirk, Feb 10, 2010.

1. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Hi All,

How can one tell if the 'puter can boot from a USB flashdrive? Seems simple, but neither of my 'puters (2 y.o. Toshiba Satellite laptop & new HP500-B mini-tower), say anything about "USB" in the BIOS boot menu.

Russ

2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    If in boot prority section of bios there is no choice for usb boot , then the answer is no. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. starams5

starams5 MDL Member

Feb 5, 2010
    #3 starams5, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
    Try hitting the F8 key during post and see if it brings up a drive menu. Not F8 after post, during post. F8 after post will bring up the Windows menu. If you get a drive menu see if the USB stick is in the list, if so select it for booting.

Note: Not all board have the ability to boot from a USB stick. Not all boards support the F8 boot menu either.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Nothing that alludes to "USB"... My Presario is old enough to not have it, but my HP minitower is brand freakin new. It allows boot from LAN, but not USB? Oh well, good thing they'll both boot from a CD.

BTW, the HP uses F12 for the boot menu.

Russ

5. starams5

starams5 MDL Member

Feb 5, 2010
    #5 starams5, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
    Sorry, I have an ASUS board which uses F8. The board and bios features are limited in most store bought computers. I started building my own computers about 10 years ago after researching the hardware on my store bought computer and finding out the motherboard in it was worth about 15 bucks.

6. MasterHacker

MasterHacker MDL Junior Member

Dec 10, 2009
    On the Presario try the Esc key because that is what my 2005 Presario uses.

7. RonAshman

RonAshman MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2010
    Did you see FDD as an option to boot in the BIOS menu?

Also remember that not all USB keys are able to be booted from.

I checked if my PC is able to boot from a USB by first formatting my USB flash drive (or key) and MAKE IT BOOTABLE, then I plugged it in and restarted PC and went to the boot menu (depending on your motherboard it's F9 or F12 or sth else) and the name of my usb key (Kingston data traveler blah blah) next to FDD was listed and I could boot.

Greetings