USB devices stopped working with windows 7 home

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by shawshawshaw, Jul 21, 2012.

1. shawshawshaw

shawshawshaw MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2012
    Hello - all of the USB ports on my computer stopped working suddenly and I can't get it to work.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium Build 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1. 64 bit
    Motherboard MSI model ms-7597
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 7025/NVIDIA nForce 630a

So far I have tried:

Reinstalling the chipset drivers.

Uninstalled the USB drivers under device manager (which re-installed them and recognized them after I rebooted - it thinks that it's there - but the USB ports will not work).

I searched through forum threads and found that other people had similar problems back in 2009/2010. In one of those threads I read about a "hotfix" from 2009. I tried to apply it but it then gave me an error message that said "this hotfix does not apply to your computer"

When I start up the computer my USB peripherals start working for a few seconds as the bios boots up - as soon as Windows takes over it shuts down.

Can anyone throw me in the right direction to solve this? In a 2012 way?

-Thanks in advance...

2. Dhawal

Dhawal MDL Novice

Jun 23, 2012
    HELLO!! can you please elaborate your problems in detail pls??
    and your computer manufacturer,and all your specifications..abt your PC??

3. Tahunasky

Tahunasky MDL Junior Member

Jul 19, 2009
    I think what he means is that when he plugs a USB storage device into his PC it doesnt allocate a drive letter, so he cant access it from windows explorer.
    I have the same problem, it was working, then after i had done a vmware workstation upgrade the USB 3 ports dont work properly, but USB 2 ports are fine, and everything works in a vm.
    I have to go into CONTROL PANEL/SYSTEM & SECURITY/ADMINISTRATION TOOLS/COMPUTER MANAGEMENT and then right click on the drive and click CHANGE DRIVE LETTER AND PATHS.
    I am pretty sure its a driver problem as the USB 3 ports use a Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver which have to be installed as they are not part of the windows default driver set.

4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Open Computer Management, display hidden devices, uninstall all USB controllers and reboot. Windows will reinstall them all. If you're using a USB mouse and/or keyboard, you will likely lose their functionally until you reboot. If they're working, don't uninstall mouse and keyboard.

5. shawshawshaw

shawshawshaw MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2012
    Actually, what I am trying to say is that none of the peripherals that I have plugged into the USB ports (mouse, keyboard, mp3 player, webcam) works in any of the USB ports. In other words - the USB ports are dead. When I go into the device manager it says that all of the USB ports are there. Yet, when I plug anything in, nothing works. My computer manufacturer is ZT Systems. I already put the rest of the details in the first post - not sure if there's any other details anyone needs. I'll try the above suggestions and I'll post what happens. Thanks...

6. shawshawshaw

shawshawshaw MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2012
    I tried all of the suggestions listed above and sadly nothing works. The USB ports will still not function. I'm more than open to any further suggestions...

7. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    There is always the possibility of hardware failure.

8. shawshawshaw

shawshawshaw MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2012
    possibly - but would the USB peripherals come on when I start the computer up and the BIOS runs if there was a hardware failure? The USB ports stop working when Windows 7 loads up...

9. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    This is what I would do at this point:

1. Repartition (if necessary) your hard drive to make an available partition for a second Windows installation.

2. Re-install Windows, any flavor you like.

3. To start with perform all Microsoft Updates which are hardware/driver related but also if necessary install any drivers manually which you might be missing on this new installation (check Device Manager). Also might as well install Microsoft Security Essentials from Microsoft Update.

4. Test your USB ports. If they work and continue working on this new installation, I would just move on to this new installation and keep using it; move your data over from your old to your new with Windows Easy Transfer unless you're familiar with other methods. If not, cross that bridge when you come to it. At least find out if they work under a brand new Windows installation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    "come on" may be they're simply receiving power but no signal. A pair of the USB pins provide DC power, the others carry the signal. It is possible to transmit the 4.75v power and not have an active signal to a device.

All I'm saying is your ports are suspect. If all else fails to restore their functionally, you can't rule out hardware failure.

12. ranchhand

ranchhand MDL Novice

May 3, 2012
    This probably will sound ridiculously simple, but try to remember when this first began; I assume that at one time the ports were all working correctly, and this "suddenly" started. Try to remember when this started, then go into system restore and choose a restore point immediately prior to this and run restore. I like to exhaust all options before tearing into the hardware. By the way, if you have been making regular backups now is the time to re-image a properly working copy.

13. 60cent

60cent MDL Senior Member

May 31, 2011
    Once i had the same problem and what i did was just restart your Pc and it started working.
    Did you plug-in and out more often the last few days,because that can cause the problem too?

Try to Disable and re-enable the USB controller

1.Click Start, and then click Run.
    2.Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. Device Manager opens.
    3.Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    4.Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click Uninstall to remove it.
    5.Repeat step 4 for each USB controller that is listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    6.Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.

After you did this check if it works when not will figure it out son no problem

14. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Bingo! What immediately preceded the event and possibly precipitated it.

15. shawshawshaw

shawshawshaw MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2012
    Well, I tried everything listed here - nothing works. I just ordered a PCI USB card. Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe the ports will come back alive when Windows 8 finally officially gets released, but the chances of that are probably 50/50.

16. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    If you believe this to be true, then there's a 50/50 chance the same can happen with Windows 7. But in place of installing a whole new OS do a clean install of Windows 7.

17. shawshawshaw

shawshawshaw MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2012
    If I did that I would have to go through hours of reinstalling programs - installing a USB card will only take two minutes, at most. Least time consuming action until Win8 comes out in Nov. - and it's already taken up quite a bit of time at this point to try to fix this...

18. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    That is why people should do regular Backups of their system, you can be back up and running within ten minutes save yourself all the hastle. No excuse nowadays windows itself has built in backup and there are plenty of free programs also.

19. shawshawshaw

shawshawshaw MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2012
    Well, here's what I'll do (nice Commodore avatar btw,): Soon as the USB card comes in, I'll back up my programs with my USB flash drives then reinstall everything. Then we'll see what happens...