USB drive issues

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ssj92, Dec 25, 2013.

1. ssj92

ssj92 MDL Novice

Dec 28, 2009
  2. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Are you using the same (default) drivers for the USB 3 controller on both machines?

3. ssj92

ssj92 MDL Novice

Dec 28, 2009
    This is on USB 2.0. The first machine is an older machine with a Core 2 Quad whereas the second is an AMD Laptop.

USB drivers are windows stock as far as I can tell.

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
  5. ssj92

ssj92 MDL Novice

Dec 28, 2009
    I know that it shows up as a fixed drive, but the second computer still lets me safely remove it while the first does not.

One thing that I've noticed is that the laptop has an AMD driver also added to the USB controller(along with the Microsoft ones).

I just want to safely remove it on the first PC. Not a big deal since the flash drive does not support any write caching(it errors when checking the box).

6. Helmutcheese

Helmutcheese MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    That does not make sense, the drive will be one or the other.

I think you have change a setting on one of the PC's.

The safely remove is exaggerated, you can unplug it without doing anything so long as you know its done reading/writing (does it have a LED on it)?

7. ssj92

ssj92 MDL Novice

Dec 28, 2009
    It's a fixed drive that can be safely removed. Weird concept.

Which setting? That's all that I've been trying to figure out.

I know I can, but say some program is doing a write. Safely Remove Device will not allow me to do so if something has been writing to the device for a few seconds since the mouse click. And yes it does have an LED. Again, not too important. Just curious about the difference in both computers.

8. Helmutcheese

Helmutcheese MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    LED is important to see if drive is active or has completed.

My Sandisk (older batch) versus the newer batch that peeps are unhappy about cannot be changed from REMOVABLE to FIXED so not sure how your drive can be REMOVABLE on 1 PC and FIXED on another.

This is not as simply as the 2 setting in Device Manager "Quick Remove" or "Better Performance", its actually programmed into the disk though some in the past were said to be switchable using software.