USB issues

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by seabeejay, Feb 1, 2010.

1. seabeejay

seabeejay MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2010
    Hey everyone,

I recently downloaded the whole windows 7 thing and got it installed properly. thanks the the windows repository thread (thanks to whoever made it). But i am now having issues with my usbs. i will plug them in and a message will pop up at the bottom acknowledging that something has been connected, but then it says the device is unplugged. i go to the device manager and all the usb ports have a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark.

they only way i can get them to work is to shut down the computer and go into safe mode and from there uninstall all the usb drives and troubleshoot to get them to install again. this is all fine and dandy until i plug another usb in and the whole issue starts over.

any help would be much appreciated!

thanks,
    chris

2. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    It sounds like to me that it is a USB driver related issue? Have you looked to see if you have any drivers to update especially USB ones? I would bet that somewhere there is a driver update for your pc or even a chipset driver update.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. seabeejay

seabeejay MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2010
    i have visited the dell site and downloaded all the driver (including chipset) options, but i am still struggling with this issue.
    i just reinstalled the chipset update and still have the same problem

4. antidotecrk

antidotecrk MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2009
    It could be a hardware issue, put in a help ticket with Dell's support and see what happens.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Can, if you have a desktop unplug the USB ports or conections to the mobo then put back in? And you've tried unistalling the drivers or device then reinstaling both again.

6. seabeejay

seabeejay MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2010
    thank you for all the suggestions friends, and i have tried all of that... several times.

im still stumped!

7. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    When you were installing did you leave internet on to get updates?

8. seabeejay

seabeejay MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2010
    i did leave the internet on. the only time the usbs would install properly was in safe mode.

do you suggest i rather turn the internet off while installing?

9. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    No just sometimes certain drivers get left out when not using those prompted updates at beginning of install.

Good Luck dude.

10. theporcupine

theporcupine MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2009
    If all else fails, try...

Shut down computer AND remove power plug.

Do the same for all USB devices.

Wait 5 minutes for mother board to completely drain power.

Turn system and USB devices back on.

If that fails, one of my favorite programs to update drivers is Driver Genius Professional Edition 9

11. cooljay_4

cooljay_4 MDL Member

Oct 10, 2009
    well i had a usb issue in one of my threads my soultion to it was reformat as nothing else worked

so mayb back everything up and reformat??

i think its a issue with win7