USB problems...

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by ThomasMann, Mar 2, 2018.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I have run all the checks of my Win7 ultimate 32 OS, running from an SSD with i5 CPU, that are available in the Windows Repair Toolbox, but I still experience the same two Problems again every few days.
    My Windows Explorer freezes regularly, especially when dealing with a connected external HDD…
    Another thing that simply freezes is the mouse. It happens with both wired and wireless. This can be easily fixed, by simply unplugging either the cable or the dongle, and inserting it again immediately.

Both problems are USB connected, both times connected hardware freezes. What am I missing?

Thanks

2. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    The problem can come from your external HD, you can test it using CrystalDiskInfo tool to check its health status.
    another thing you can do is to connect the external HD to another machine to see if the same problem occurs, if it's the case that means that these freezes are caused by your ext HD.

3. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thanks, but No, it has nothing to do with that HDD. I have an SSD with the OS installed and a second HDD, only 500GB, also inside the computer. There is folder with downloads on there with around 70GB, and Explorer opens that folder immediately, but a long time passes until the list of the contents appears.
    But the main worry is the Mouse and the USB freezing, once that is solved I am sure the rest also will work properly again.
    As I already wrote I tested everything that can be tested, so my question is: What is responsible for the un-interrupted working of a mouse connected via USB, both, wireless and with wire, have the same problem.... If it is a software problem I could re-install Win7, but I would like to really know that first.

4. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Time to bin Windows 7?

5. Hal2000

Hal2000 MDL Junior Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Worth looking in device manager at usb,ive had to revert to older drivers than the latest provided by M.S.to make my usb work correctly on my asus motherboard. Win 7 still working better than all ( 4) win 10 versions I have

6. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    The Windows Explorer freezing can be caused by a program that creates a right-click context menu not correctly uninstalling it.
    Remnants of the old hooks might still be in the registry.

Have you tried a registry cleaner? That might help.

Also, Hal2000 is right about MS USB drivers. I too had problems with them on an Asus MoBo. I had to reinstall the drivers from Asus.

If you still have USB problems after cleaning, I suggest you get the drivers for your USB from your computer manufacturers' web site and reinstall them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    #7 ThomasMann, Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    (OP)
    Thanks, the registry gets cleaned regularly by ccleaner, that is the only one I trust, that it does not "over-clean".

This is a singularly built computer with an i5, an ASRock Motherboard and an NVidia Graphic card, where might I get old drivers in that case?

WHICH drivers am I looking for?

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Your Asrock usb motherboard drivers only you know which model.

9. Jcasey

Jcasey MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2018
    Your is solved to reinstall the driver on USB

10. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I used the ASRock recommend settings, and so far no freezing, but I will wait a while before I trust it.

I occasionally use more USB devices, than I have sockets on the computer.
    What kind of device should I buy, to be able to connect 4 USB devices? Seems like they need some external power or similar otherwise, they will not work properly?

11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    What you need is a powered usb hub.

12. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

Thanks that what I thought, I was wondering why there are all these cheap ones out there....

But... the problem I started out with has actually gotten worse, after changing the setting in the BIOS for USB drivers:

Windows Explorer now needs up to five seconds to show the content, after opening a folder (which still happens instantly).

While windows is installed on the SSD, the storage folders are on the second harddisc, an HDD (in perfect health). The point is, that opening that folder and listing its contents also worked basically instantly, and only a few months ago started to take a longer time. When I open a 2TB external HDD (connected via USB!) it sometimes fails completely to do that. It runs a green bar in the adressbar from left to right, which shows the progress, and gets slower and slower, and in the end stops. never opening the HDD.....
    I found a few hints in the net, about freezing Explorer, but none of them changes anything....

13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Ok now you have explained a bit better you can forget the ssd and internal hard drive they will be sata the external usb is a different thing all together I have a 1TB external usb hard drive and it has its own power supply and it takes a while to index the drive on both my new laptop and older desktop.

14. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    So, if I de-activate the indexing it will have to search the whole disk every time I open it....