Usb

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by p0rkguy, Nov 30, 2009.

1. p0rkguy

p0rkguy MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2009
    Running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (Build 7600)
    My USB slots just seemed to stop working out of nowhere.
    I've confirmed it by testing all my USB pluggable devices onto my computer and none of them can be detected at all. I've also tried connecting my phone through mini-usb and that doesn't work either. Any solutions? I really need to use my USB flash drive for a class presentation tomorrow.

2. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Look in device manager and see if everything is okay. Also look in your event viewer under Hardware and see if there is any issues. You can also go into device manager and uninstall you USB host controller and then reboot the machine and allow it to reinstall and see if that will take care of it.

3. eaponte23

eaponte23 MDL Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Make sure you have the latest chipset drivers for your mainboard would be a start. If it's a desktop PC open up the case and check that all wires leading to the casing are connected somewhere and haven't worked loose. Some desktops mainboards will have extra USB connection for the front of the case and expansion bay.

I had a similar issue and turned out to be a faulty mainboard.:(

4. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    But in this case...i guess it is Windows 7
    Have had this issue with front USB ports on my Acer Desktop m3641 from time to time, rebooting the system ussually solved it but it's quite annoying

5. p0rkguy

p0rkguy MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2009
    Thanks for the quick reply guys. I doubt its only the front USB. I have a usb extender and a mini-usb extender both connected through the back. My mouse and keyboard are connected through the back also so I doubt it's faulty motherboard.
    I'll try restarting first when I get home. If that fails I'll uninstall the drivers and let it reinstall itself. If that fails hopefully I'll be able to use my school computers and upload it through there.

6. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Let us know if you have any luck.

7. p0rkguy

p0rkguy MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2009
    Well when I got home, I checked Device Manager and only the 'Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller' had a yellow ! on it. Tried updating and said it was up to date. Decided to give it a restart and it was fixed. Auto-detected my USB flash drive right away.
    I usually restart my computer once a month so I won't restart unless it was necessary. If this problem were to rise again, what would be my solution besides restarting?
    Again, thanks for the quick responses.

8. eaponte23

eaponte23 MDL Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I'd make sure that your mainboards drivers are up to date. I don't trust WU to find the most updated driver. Check with the manufacturer and Chipset maker first. ATi, Invidia, Intel etc...

Another thing to look out for is software incompatibility issues that can cause drivers to fail. I used an older version of ImgBurn which caused my video driver to reset everytime I ran ImgBurn. Weird but it can happen...

9. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
  10. _Spee_

_Spee_ MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2009
    Hi :)
    Some times it appears that problem with installing windows 7 32 or 64 Bit with OC hardware

I had that problem with the CPU and Ram overclocked and when I put the default is to install without freezing.

Cheers ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...