Use any application through a Proxy - help

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Carel, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Hey guys, I need help on setting up any application to use a proxy. At University we have uncapped internet and it is seriously fast, but it uses 5 HTTP proxies, you can choose which one you want to use. Authentication is however required (Username & Password). I want to use certain apps like some YouTube video downloaders, Navifirm (which is a tool used to Download Nokia firmware). These kind of apps don't "see" the proxy because they don't support a proxy at all. I know there are tools like Proxifier and ProxyFire out there, but those tool don't work very well because they are slow. I've found a way to use Internet Download Manager with the proxy because it supports a proxy with Authentication, but nowadays some companies are starting to introduce "Download Managers" and not offline installers anymore, which SUCKS.

Is there any guidance or help anyone can give me on how to use any application via a proxy? I was thinking that I could set up a virtual machine with a virtual network running through the proxy and then use the OS in the virtual machine (assuming it would not require manually entering the details for the proxy as well as my username and password), but unfortunately it doesn't work that way. I really need to know how to use Navifirm, other download managers or just ANY app via a proxy, if someone is able to recommend me a good app or a possible solution, then I would be VERY GLAD.

2. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...