Use Existing SLIC to Activate a Computer

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Zarcu, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Zarcu

Zarcu MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2010
    #1 Zarcu, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
    I have an HP Laptop. I'm doing a reinstall of Windows Vista. I don't have the disc that came with it but it'd like to reinstall it with a retail disc I have, and use the existing SLIC to activate it legitimately. How would I do that?

#2 Will Windows Loader simply detect the existing SLIC and install the OEM:SLP and Key that matches it?

#3 The product key of the bottom is slightly scratched off. I believe I know what the key is but The Ultimate PID Checker says its an invalid key. Is it that I can't accurately read the key or is that key not supported in the PID Checker?

Thank you :D

2. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #2 Shenj, Aug 26, 2011
    Yea you can use the Loader, if you have a SLIC it will just install the proper Key and Cert

The Product Key on your back should show up as OEM:COA or similar in PID Checker. (that is if the PID Checker works proper)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Zarcu

Zarcu MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2010
    Thanks Shenj,

I've had a situation with a Dell laptop where I used Windows Loader and I lost activation not too long after. I ran Windows Loader again and it fixed it. It was a client's computer so I fear that happening again. Do you know why that might happen?

4. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #4 Shenj, Aug 26, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Mod the BIOS & be done with (no need to fear after)

sebus

6. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #6 Daz, Aug 26, 2011
    @ Zarcu
    To answer question #2 it will install just the certificate and serial, do a genuine check and then it will only install the loader if it's required.

A system becoming non-genuine can be caused by tampered services or system files. Also if you don't shut the system down correctly then startup repair could also cause a problem but I think that can be worked around by using the preserve current boot code option.

Note: Don't use the preserve current boot code option unless you know the loader works on the system.

7. Zarcu

Zarcu MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2010
    Alright cool. I'll keep that in mind. So having an existing SLIC (that's legitimate) will just cause the loader to install the matching certificate and SLP. I shouldn't have any activation issues right? Is there a tool that will rip the SLP and Certificate before the reinstall and then put it back? Or is that just unnecessary?

8. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    With this being Vista I can't promise it'd work so use the "dump" button found under the advanced options tab. It will dump the systems existing SLIC, certificate and serial.